Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

the Thank You cook

Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
The kids and #1 son were down this week….They and the other half played while I had to work..Bummer! 
My consolation for not playing with them… #1 son had dinner was on the table when I got home…what a reward! 
He treated me to his red cream pasta sauce over Ziti with egged pork tenderloin, peas with egg-roasted carrots. 
The next night was pork scaloppini in a white wine reduction, served with the leftover pasta, , garlic bread and leftover veggies  (If I wasn’t already married I would marry him.).
Friday night I thought it was time to treat him to a great egged steak served with his signature creamed spinach, grandma cabbage casserole and egged baked potatoes. 
The veggies

Veggies for the cabbage were roasted on the egg until tender and then thinly sliced. 
To the sliced veggies added a dash of rice wine vinegar, Lea and Perrins, Dizzy Pineapple Head (my contribution) and salt and pepper. Added to one tablespoon of bacon drippings and sautéed until coated, added the beer mix and sautéed for 15 minutes on low to reduce. Placed in pan topped with panko bread crumbs (we are all pretty sure grandma used crackers) and placed on the egg to finish cooking) 

The steaks…only have two Costco steaks left (we pick up our portion of the cow from the butcher on thrusday). 
All could have been done on large and mini but I was too tired to do stairs 
 Dueling Smoke
The reverse sear
chilling out
plated (yes the grandkids eat their med rare)
#1 grandson had 2 large helpings of the steak… 
3 adults + two hungry kids = no leftover steak 
Everything was wonderful and Grandmas cabbage was delicious….(it was only later we realized we forgot the apple) 
Oh yeah, the taters were sliced partially opened, topped with Irish Cream butter and chives.
Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
·

Comments

• radamoradamo Posts: 355
    Looks like a real nice Thank You cook.  Love the roasted cabbage idea.  Going to have to give that a shot.

Long Island, NY
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,438
    Very nice cook girl. I sure suggest you get a "handler" on that Egg. Have on both Larges and feel so much safer in moving around.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,936
    Man that looks really good! Even better getting to do that with the family...
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,082
    Would you accept a live in refugee from Canuckistan? Holy smoke, that's awesome. Like the cabbage casserole idea, never seen that. 
    Have a half head in the fridge leftover from slaw we had a couple of days ago, will try with a pork loin roast tomorrow. Thanks!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Spectacular! It sounds like #1 Son can seriously cook.... I wonder where he got it?
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Smells so good !  I think I got a whiff in Drippin'.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • It was really fun listening to #1 son tell his kids about his summers with his "country" great grand parents.  He told them how grandma taught him how to churn butter and the oldest just ask him why he just didn't go to the fridge.  Ah, the modern connivence's.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Looks and sounds like some great meals!!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • You inspire me.
    That is a brilliant cook.
    ·
  • @Skiddy, sure house is big enough for a wayward Canuckistan....Mind you the summer heat can be brutal.  Most of your brethern spend the winter down here and still tell how how it is...:)
    ·
  • @ Mickey Do they make a handler for the small?  I am really careful when I roll it around....The only eggs I want to break have yellow centers.
    ·
  • Spectacular! It sounds like #1 Son can seriously cook.... I wonder where he got it?
    His maternal grandmother...She made us all a bunch of love to cook love to eat foodies.  Niece made some home made savory Kolaches this weekend that were to die for.  She has promised me the dough recipe.
    ·