Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket??

OK-I've had this "brisket" in my freezer for a few months. Got it from a local CSA-organic, grass fed beef. It's been frozen since the day we picked it up, so I hadn't had a good look at it until 30 minutes ago. I've scoured brisket threads here and watched several videos on it, but looking at this hunk o meat,it doesn't look like what I was expecting. Soooooo, anyone have a guess what I actually have on my hands? Maybe just the flat?? It does have a line of fat between a couple pieces of muscle, which would suggest a flat and a point, but the point in that case looks very small. The whole thing is clearly rounded off a bit.
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I agree with you, looks like 2 muscles to me. Just smaller than other packers, typical of organic. Only one way to tell, cook it up!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

I think (not 100% sure) that is just a really lean brisket.  There are definitely two different muscles with the fibers going two different directions.

I've found this video helpful in getting a better understanding of brisket anatomy.  He probably takes off a little too much fat and bark - but for education purposes that makes this a better video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGAP1DG_Vs8

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• it is a tiny, grass fed, lean ass brisky. Think about the size of grass fed humans compared to grain/corn fed humans and you'l notice that cows are the same way. smaller, less fat, and less awesome :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    That's the best mouse ever made, by the way.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Alright, thanks all. I'll take a closer look at it before I put it on tomorrow to get acquainted with it. Everything I've gotten from the CSA has been good, and without a doubt the best tasting beef & pork fat I've ever had-like butter on the steaks.
  • Alright-this bad boy is around 197 in the flat, higher in to what must be the puny, grass-fed point. Already ate dinner because the family couldn't wait, and I wasn't sure how much longer it would be. So, suggestions on the best way to enjoy a cooked brisket 24 hours later? I'm going to at least cut into it today to see how I did on my first brisket, but don't necessarily have to chop it all up. Thoughts? (Pic from 152 IT-foiled it for about 90 min to get through the initial stall so I wouldn't be up until 2am babysitting it).
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Brisket sandwiches the next day are always pretty awesome.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Well, it is a brisket. Nothing like what I had researched, but in the end not bad. So the first one's under my belt and it can only get better. I'm wondering if this wasn't all point, or at least trimmed from where the point meets the flat and cutting off the only flat section-the slices all have a pretty distinct fat layer in the middle. The thicker parts are actually drier than the thinner part-I had the thicker part towards the back and didn't flip or rotate it at all.