Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prepping peach wood

The winery/orchard around the corner let me grab some peach and apple tree limbs and trunks for smoking.
I think I need to strip the bark, cut, split and age. Is this correct?
Would I get more flavor and longer smoke without aging?
Thanks.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·

Comments

• I can't really speak knowledgeably on the topic, but that won't stop me from sharing an opinion (haha). If it was me I would age it for a while if possible. I would guess you'll get cleaner, better testing smoke from aged wood. 

I guess it's similar to the question of whether or not to soak wood chunks. Hot wood produces smoke, hot water produces stream. I don't soak wood and would let it age to drive off residual water.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,551
    I use green peach wood all the time. You don't have to age peach but its the only wood I have seen sold not aged.
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273
    I would try some green - save a few pieces to dry adn try them. I wouldn't worry about prep, except maybe cutting it into chunks that would fit.
    Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    Based on previous posts I have read I would say cut them to your desired size and then use em as you would like. The green vs aged vs bark vs no bark debate all boils down to wood + fire = smokey goodness. Good luck and way to go on a great wood score.
    ·
  • I would advise you to keep it large pieces as long as you can, it will stay more flavorful longer.  Chop it smaller when you need it.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·