Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

2nd Pizza attempt was a success

My first attempt at making pizza I used my platesetter with the legs down in my XL BGE with 6 fire bricks laid out as a platform for my pizza stone.  I thought that the extra thick ceramic base would be better to keep even heat.  It may have needed more time to warm up then I allowed.  I only gave it about ½ hour at 600 before I threw on the first pie.  It came out good but not great.  The top started to brown before the bottom was crisp enough.  The flavor was excellent but just not quite right. 

So method 2 I used my platesetter with the legs up with the XL Woo2 on top with my grate on top of the woo.  Pizza stone on the grate. 

Looks like this before the stone was added.  A few inches above the gasket:

Here is the pie before:

… and the after: 

This looks (and tasted) like the right combo to me.  Now I need to trim my dough a bit.  I have been using dough from the local pizza place.  It is for an 18" pie so the edges get too puffy and I could thin out the bottom a bit more with less dough.  Next time... 

Long Island, NY
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,254
    I'd take a slice.  just give me some extra sauce and the extra dough will disappear.  Looks great!
    ·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    edited August 2013
    LOL. That is what happened. Thanks!
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • Looks great! Who gets the half with the anchovies?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Me!  :-D

Wife will eat them but prefers not to... 
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 488
    Another interesting use of the Woo. Thanks for sharing. The Pizza looks awesome!

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
    ·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    fljoemon said:
    Another interesting use of the Woo. Thanks for sharing. The Pizza looks awesome!

Thanks... it was a snug fit over the standard grid.  Had to be aligned well to get the dome shut.
    :-D

Long Island, NY
    ·