Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How bad does a crack have to be...

Went out of town. My wife's uncle first-timed on my XL. I now have a very thin crack running down the entire backside. I've cooked on it three times at less than 400. Warranty should cover it, about 5 years old. My question is, do I need to or should I wait? How bad does it have to be and should I wait until I see smoke coming out the crack? Thanks in advance! BTW, that uncle isn't allowed to touch it any more!

Comments

• GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 460
    A crack's a crack, no? Is it visible? I'd make a claim were it me....
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    I can see it and some of the ceramic too. Yes, a crack is a crack!
  • I believe it has to go all the way through. I had to document the crack inside and out before I got mine replaced. 

• TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,385
    Jscott said:
    Went out of town. My wife's uncle first-timed on my XL.... BTW, that uncle isn't allowed to touch it any more!

Dude, you "crack" me up.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Cen-Tex, value your posts....how do you document all the way through?
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,663
    Damn, thought this was a sex post.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,163

I believe it has to go all the way through. I had to document the crack inside and out before I got mine replaced. 

Just had mine done last week.. Only ever sent them pics of the exterior. Never asked to see the inside...
  • I had to take pics of the crack on the inside and that crack on the outside. My guy said then mothership will take care of them all but they have to be all the way through. I did have a pic of smoke pouring out so that helped. Same with your innards. If you have a crack in your ring/firebox, they won't take care of it until it's cracked all the way through. It really does not matter, once it starts, they don't stop so it's only a short matter of time before they go through.

• reh111reh111 Posts: 163
    henapple said:
    Damn, thought this was a sex post.
    It could be:

L4Bo5AU.jpg 53.8K
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited August 2013
    reh111 said:
    henapple said:
    @#!*% , thought this was a sex post.
    It could be:

I'm no expert, but this one appears to be "on purpose" ............

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,663
    And I'm thankful...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN