Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Wood Chunk Question

I know that after lighting the lump I need to let it sit for a while and burn off the last of the volatiles, but what about when adding wood chunks? How long should I wait after adding wood chunks to the already settled lump? Can I immediately add the food while the egg is full of dense white smoke, or should I wait until the white smoke is gone and then add the food?
LBGE, Stoker WiFi, StokerConsole

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    edited August 2013
    Have you read through the other smoke posts on here? Particularly the, "Once You Get Clear Smoke" post by macboy. The answer to your question can be found. Good luck!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• bicktravbicktrav Posts: 467
    Like Chris Wang mentioned, this is currently being discussed in "Once You Get Clear Smoke".  The takeaway is that with wood chunks/chips you don't need to wait for clear smoke.  You can just throw the meat on right away, or you can add wood while the meat is already on the grill without worry.  The same is not true of charcoal.  
    Southern California