Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

did I over react?

I was at Costco today. They had a Traeger display going on the guy says we need one of those my wife says I have a grill to him. I tell him I have an egg. He says "too bad" ,in a sarcastic tone of voice. I told him not to talk to me like that and I didn't appreciate his rudeness.

Oh well. I just wanted to tell someone

XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Ask him if it only cooks Chinese food since it's made in China. Those guys are douchebags. I used to have to put up with them during roadshows.
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    edited August 2013
    MEAT DUEL!!!
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited August 2013
    Sounds as though he needs salesmanship and sensitivity training.
    At times like that, I just smile politely, sniker inside, and laugh my way out the door. Keep quiet, and let fool do his job.

"never argue with a fool, by-standers won't know who's who!"
    W.C. Fields?

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Should've slashed all his bags of pellets and said "too bad."
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    edited August 2013
    "Too bad!" for him; he didn't have a sale, and he knew it...   :D

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    It's all good, put a positive spin on it. He probably meant too bad for him because he knows there's no damn way he's selling a Traeger to you or anyone that's had food cooked on the egg...

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Yea , over reaction The guy was being light hearted with a comeback while doing his job on a Saturday.

But hey it happens, I've had my moments of being a ...well u know.
    Seattle, WA
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    I'm sure he has a underdeveloped pallet! He probably still lives in he's moms basement and eats his own boogers while watching sponge bob as well!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    The guy was smarter than we are giving him credit for - he knew there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that he could sell his unit to an Egg owner. He might have been referring to himself when he made the comment. It would be a bit unsettling to have someone say that though.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Maybe he was intimidated...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • If the young paduwan that I am training ever gets that arsy with a customer....she will beg for a beating rather than the tongue lashing that will be given.  His behavior is uncalled for.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    I would've told him "I evaluated the Traeger before I purchased my egg and found it inferior in every way" and walked away.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited August 2013
    Actually, I think you were out of place.  The guy is honestly trying to sell his product, and you boast about his competition.  It looks to me like you were trying to start the provocation.  You should have just smiled and walked by.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    You obviously need a mini.. You could have carried it right into the store and challenged him to a meat duel on the spot.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Diptip
    Diptip Posts: 45
    edited August 2013

IMHO if it went down the way you have stated and the guy got offended he is the one with issues. Sometimes people get offended by the littlest things. Some people are just to sensitive.

Meat duel, pretty funny.

=))
    In an idiots head.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    I don't think you overreacted.  I would have drop kicked this asshat.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sounds like maybe BOTH of you were being a little sensitive.

Little Rock, AR

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    From my perspective, you did nothing wrong at all. Salesmen must deal with all potential clients, those that listen to and agree with every word and those that have a different opinion. It is part of the job. 
    A more suitable response from his perspective would have been to compliment you on your choice of an egg, than engaged you on the benefits of a Traeger vs an egg. If there are none, you will just move on and he has done no harm. Knowing your competition is part of Sales 101. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Probably a waste of time to engage rude people.. But damn it's fun.

Could've asked if he could... Sear at 900 degrees, cook pizzas and breads, etc...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I wish I was there.   I would have explained that I owneda Traeger, likely before he even knew what one was.  I would have also commented on the shotty craftsmanship, the ultra thin guage steel which causes crazy temp swings in cooler weather, the fact that Traeger had to repace my entire pellet bin and auger assembly TWICE and all the pains in the ass of having to cook with the pellets and the pita nuances that come along with it.  Also, good luck trying to get a traeger above 400 degrees.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    I think the salesman was being kinda snotty, but I think you could have taken it better too. Whats the point in getting bent out of shape over someone who has absolutely zero impact on your life?

Having said that, it would have been well within your rights to shoot back with witty repartee, to make the point that sales folks should work to woo customers not turn them away. There are plenty of Traeger owners who like the product for whatever reasons, so it can't be an entirely cr@ppy product.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    As the original poster. Looking back I should have just walked away. But I am tired of people telling me that I made bad decisions just because it didn't go their way

Next time I'll let him talk for 30 minutes and then just walk away

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Now that's a good point, @stevesails.  I may be a bit anal, but as a retired 30-year car salesman, the longer you kept him talking to you, the more time he didn't have to sell his product to someone else!

;;)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I've read your post a couple of times and asked myself what would I have done. A few years ago, you could have made book on a smarta$$ comment and/or an argument from me. Today, I realize it's impossible persuade arrogant fools and the best course of action is to smile and go about my business. Its 50-50 which way I go nowadays. Rude fools irritate me.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    He wouldn't be able to put up much of a fight on the meat duel unless Costco starts lending electricity and cables to power up his smoking arsenal.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts