Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Hickory or apple for brisket?

Hello all,
Just found a promising looking brisket at Smart and Final, planning to cook it tonight. Going super simple, Cen-tex style, just Bad Byron's. I'm out of oak chunks but will be using Ozark Oak lump. I do have apple and hickory chunks. Should I use one of those or just ditch the wood altogether. I'm leaning towards a couple hickory chunks, but it would take much to change my mind.

Cheers, and wish me luck -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,912
    I would vote for hickory as beef can take the stronger smoke.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    I would do both you will enjoy the end result 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,747
    I do hickory or mesquite.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • sigh.........

·
  • Is that a sigh because of no oak? Would I be better off with no smoke? I've only done brisket once before and it was okay but not outstanding. If I had oak I'd use it.

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • Is that a sigh because of no oak? Would I be better off with no smoke? I've only done brisket once before and it was okay but not outstanding. If I had oak I'd use it.

no- I'm just being a dope. Use hickory if that's what you have.

·
  • SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    oak.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 282
    Pecan wood aged 6 months
    White oak aged one year
    ·
  • I've actually not been able to find oak chunks around here, so I just use apple and hickory together. Seems to work just fine.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Albuquerque, where I'm kicking ass every day, even without a basket.  
    ·
  • Drewdlc17Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Hickory! You can spray it down with apple juice to get the apple flavor in there.
    ·
  • So far so good. Went with one hunk of hickory because that's all I had (thought I had apple too, no dice). Clearly it's time for a BBQ store run.

I'll collect this all in another thread, but the cook went faster than expected and I just cubed up the point for burnt ends. Flavor is good but a little understated, may need a bit more Bad Byron's next time. Also may have trimmed a little too aggressively this time, roasted fat tastes really good, but there's not much there.

B_B

Middleton, WI
    ·