Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire went out overnight. Toss 'em?

dmgersh
dmgersh Posts: 4
edited August 2013 in Pork
I put on 2 8.5 pound butts at about midnight last night. I got up and checked on it around 3 or 330, and the temperature was around 300, so I made some slight adjustments and went back to bed. My first overnight cook since my barbecue guru died.

This morning around 7 o'clock I discovered the fire had gone out, the temperature was down around 160, and the meat was at about 115°. I put them in the oven while I got the fire restarted, and the temperature in the never went below 110. Do I need to throw them out?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I say keep them.  You said the temp in the egg was 160 which is at the top of the danger zone but coming down from much hotter for several hours.  The internal temp is on whole muscle so really no risk of it being contaminated (unless you injected). 

In my opinion all the nasty stuff would be cooked already and you'll be fine. 

Carry on and enjoy....

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I would keep. Should not be a problem.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • dmgersh
    Thanks guys.

Though I admit that I will be a little bit nervous when I see all of our guests eating it...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

If you are uneasy about the pork, toss them, get two more and cook them "turbo".  You can search for that process (use google and add big green egg to your query) and you can have them done in around six hours or so.  Hopefully @mickey (turbo-man) will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    I had two of my first over nights go out. Fired them back up the next day, cooked to temp and enjoyed them, never had s problem. I understand the concern, but if it was me, if eat them.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103

The “Danger Zone” (40 °F-140 °F)

Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the “Danger Zone.” That’s why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour.

You should be fine as the ambient temp stayed above 140.  You do nt know what the internal temp of the meat was at 3:30 AM.  It amy not have dropped much if any.  By the way, cooking butts turbo has worked much better for me. Use 330 degrees to get the meat temp up to 160.  Wrap in foil until 200 degress. Usually a 4-5 hour process tops.

• dmgersh
    Thanks! Great info. At 330 I was a little groggy but I believe the internal temp was about the same. In the neighborhood of 115. So I'm guessing it continued going up a bit from there, maybe as much as 10 degrees, then came back down
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I would not throw them out - put them back on - cook to temp and enjoy!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I would toss. More than likely all on forum are correct, but....
    Here is Turbo.
    TURBO BUTTS

· Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195/200 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!
    · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple for more protein )
    . Note: The butt box is not required.
    I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Keep'em and run with it.