Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spatchcock turkey refresh

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
I totally forget what I did with spatchcock turkey last time I made one. 400 raised direct for about an hour and a half (to temp of course) sound right enough? Got one brining today, will let dry out in fridge with some baking soda tomorrow.
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• rholtrholt Posts: 368
    I would probably do that. Sounds like a winner. Post pics when done.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,277
    That's what I do. Toss on a couple of extra legs.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Got to use the ar for the first time to do direct raised. Used dizzy pig red eye. Turned out really good. It was a little dry by the time I ate it since we ate about an hour after it was finished, but good turkey nonetheless.

Plated with brussel sprouts and my favorite--carrot soufflé.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    Here's a pic of the bird before being carved. Doing the other half tomorrow for dinner. image
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • That looks really good, thanks for posting. What did you think of the red eye with turkey? We used it on corn on the cob for the first time last night and it was surprisingly spot on. It was not or favorite on tri tip, but I'm finding it surprisingly versatile on non beef cooks.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
    I liked it a lot. First time I used a pre made rub ever. I used a coffee one last thanksgiving and it's my go to now for poultry and even pork.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • rconercone Posts: 92
    How big of bird can you get on a large?

Fat is tasty, everything else is filler.

LBGE, SBGE, and a Carson Rotisserie 

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,295
    Looks terrific, yzzi!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
    edited August 2013
    rcone said:

I do lots of spatchcock turkeys and my recommendation is 11/13 lbs as they taste better (IMO). If more protein is needed just add a few extra legs or do a second turkey. Getting ready to toss 3 legs on the Mini in a few mins myself.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • rconercone Posts: 92
    Mickey, thanks
    Fat is tasty, everything else is filler.

LBGE, SBGE, and a Carson Rotisserie 

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
    ·
  • revolver1revolver1 Posts: 352
    I'm going to fire my Mini too for what they call a Beef Filet of Shoulder.  Had them before and they are pretty good.  They work great on the Mini.  Love that little cooker.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
    ·
    revolver1 said:
    I'm going to fire my Mini too for what they call a Beef Filet of Shoulder.  Had them before and they are pretty good.  They work great on the Mini.  Love that little cooker.  

@revolver1 we all know the Mini is just a TOY =))

·
    Yeah I've become a believer in the 12 pounders. This was half of a 16 pound turkey. The other half is finishing up now. You can fit an 18 pounder if I remember correctly, but I like the smaller ones better. Easier to work with, cooks faster, and easier to do different flavors with separate birds.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • AUCEAUCE Posts: 817
    Mickey said:
    rcone said:

I do lots of spatchcock turkeys and my recommendation is 11/13 lbs as they taste better (IMO). If more protein is needed just add a few extra legs or do a second turkey. Getting ready to toss 3 legs on the Mini in a few mins myself.
    Is that because of the BGE size or just best eating bird? I have a XL and was gonna do a fresh Ham but running out of time...soooo Spatchcock boid..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

·
    Best eating bird.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • AUCEAUCE Posts: 817
    yzzi said:
    Best eating bird.
    so on my xl I imagine I can fit 2- 12#ers...sweet...less cook time a better eats...ID @ 350?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

·
    I along with others here like doing raised direct around 425 degrees. Indirect is fine too.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·