Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Planked Fish

Tomorrow I will cook my first planked salmon, and perhaps Mahi mahi?...  I have the woo 2, and planks of alder and cedar.  Kindly offer any suggestions!

Thanks,
Dave
no, not -that- one!
KI4PSR
·

Comments

• AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    Wish I could Dave, I have owned my beloved BGE since fathers Day and still haven't cooked fish. I will anxiously await assistance and store for later (GOOD LUCK).
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,141
    edited August 2013
    For the salmon, I plank indirect, at least 400º dome. I'm cheap and re-use the planks (actually cedar shake), others go raised direct at 350º dome. I'm simple and I like salmon so no rubs, some oil, skin down (if it has skin only one side) some S&P and lemon slices. Do not overcook, off by 130ºish maximum.   
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,666
    edited August 2013
    I have always planked 375 raised direct, I have a couple rubs I got while in Seattle but SWMBO really likes soy with brown sugar marinade. Then I simmer the rest of the marinade while the Salmon is cooking and spoon it on the plated Salmon. Take of at 130-135.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Thanks for the replies!  In about 4 hours I will get the egg going.  After reading these replies and looking at other threads about planked fish, I have decided to go raised direct first.  Depending on the number of guests there may be an opportunity to try indirect as well.  Pictures and a report after the party, err, I mean tomorrow <g>.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·
  • Planked Mahi-mahi, corn on the cob.  The fish came out perfectly moist and delicious!
    Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
    ·