Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini........kinda

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,627
    when you take the therm out, look up inside the dome, theres a soft rubber gasket stuck to the back side of the hole, pretty sure it will eventually ruin someones meal

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Thanks mine may have already met its death. I took the thermometer out last night and didn't see it but I will look closer. Not a big fan of the thermometer may order a new tel tru if I can't get it figured out.
  • fishlessman
    Lit said:
    Thanks mine may have already met its death. I took the thermometer out last night and didn't see it but I will look closer. Not a big fan of the thermometer may order a new tel tru if I can't get it figured out.
    had mine up to about 500 cooking a porkchop last night, found out it had the rubber grommet thing this morning, had to peel it out as it may have started to melt in already, its in there
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    anyone have the model number off the hinge, i saw the serial number but registration asks for the model number
    fukahwee maine

• Lit

Are there choices? The series is called Classic P on their website.

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

can't say i didn't warn everyone about the rubber gasket around the thermo.

mwraulst Posts: 116

yes! got it in the mail yesterday. the seller must have taken a hit on shipping bc my label on the box when it came in said 37 dollars for the shipping and i only paid 7 when i placed the order.

put it together and assembled last night and did the first cook.

some observations:

1. no it is not fully egg quality but it's not far off and the price alone makes this a winner. I do have a mini so i performed a side by side comparison evaluation and cook.

2. it comes with the stand (table nest for egg) and shelves, boom! awesome!, thank you very much for not having to buy a stand for the grill i just paid for. and the shelves are so awesome, they attach easy, are super sturdy, clean easily and foldup or come off in seconds.

3. bc of space i immediately took the thermometer off. i found a rubber type gasket up by the thermometer. i couldn't help but think the first 800 degree cook or mistake would melt this, so i removed it. I would recommend that to any of you who bought the kub.

4. the fire box is slightly misshapen at the bottom. so here is where i think the quality of the egg comes into play. the ceramic firebox is not exactly round at the bottom where the fire grate sits. It does not affect anything that i've been able to tell. the thickness of the ceramic on both the firebox and egg appears to be the same between the 2.

5. top vent is not castiron or heavy metal. the top vent on kub is thiner metal. it has a clip so it stays attached to the top, although never been a problem with the egg. there is also gasket up there holding the top cap on. I must admit i had no problem lighting the egg with the cap on and open, whereas i've never tried it on my eggs. I always remove top cap to light them. if the cap rusts or fails i'm pretty sure the egg one will fit or i will fashion one of those fancy stainless ones.

6. with royal oak in mini egg and in kub and a piece of chicken, brat, and burger on each i have yet to tell any difference in taste. Even had swmbo mix them up on me for a blind taste test. there you have it, my $140 mini tastes the same as my $400 mini.

my conclusion: sorry bge you're now priced out of the market in regard to the mini. I'd purchase this again any day. Oh and with the kub, the warranty information states lifetime on all ceramic parts, so please don't attack this thread based on the value of the warranty. I paid 140 including shipping, got a mini with shelves and a stand deliverd to my door. Bands were already in place and tight. Couldn't be any happier with this find.

• fishlessman
    thats what i would think but i picked classic p, then it asked for serial and model number found on rear hinge?
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Please let us know if you figure it out.
  • Just put my mini Vision together. It is missing a washer and nut. Sent and email to CS requesting one, we will see. Quality wise looks pretty good. I will keep everyone updated.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

i emailed them,, $20 shipping to Michigan.   would like to have it next to my xl for little cooks.  but will have to buy a table or something to put it on.  or, maybe just sit it in the xl and use it that way. any ideas? would also like to put it in the car for tailgating. not sure waht to do with a hot fire while i go to the game?

bring a large bucket of sand ?  any ideas?  not sure if i want to close it up and put it in the minivan.  I know the wife wont like that in her car.

thanks for the advice.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Lit
    I bring a foil pan with me and scoop the coals out into it and pour water in the pan then just throw the pan away. The egg will cool down quick with nothing in it and if you get a carten you can put it right in your trunk after you empty it.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Emailed the usabestdealz folks this evening.  They were prompt telling me they could send me one and postage was only $24 to middle Georgia.   Was looking at a mini for my birthday but I think this will fit the bill nicely.    If you want one email them even though the website says out of stock.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    mwraulst said:

can't say i didn't warn everyone about the rubber gasket around the thermo.

3. bc of space i immediately took the thermometer off. i found a rubber type gasket up by the thermometer. i couldn't help but think the first 800 degree cook or mistake would melt this, so i removed it. I would recommend that to any of you who bought the kub.

Good call on the washer folks! I would've missed that....(till my tri-tip tasted like tennis balls)

I removed the rubber, and added a hi-temp fiber to the OUTSIDE of the dome, between the thermometer and the ceramic instead.  

Afterwards, had a good cook on it tonight....Game Hen and baby spuds. 
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited August 2013
    I think I have managed to snag one from Manhattan store. Don't have it yet but asked a friend there to go get me one. :D  70$ Am told that's all they had.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• mark_08
    mark_08 Posts: 39
    I just sent in a email to usabestdealz asking for shipping cost to Huntsville Texas. Think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on one.
    Medium Egg & Mini Max. Huntsville, TX
  • thats what i would think but i picked classic p, then it asked for serial and model number found on rear hinge?

I put in the barcode number for the model number and it seemed to work.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited August 2013
    I wish I had these at my store. I'd a bought one if I saw it. I almost hope BGE won't bring their prices down. I'm afraid that either their quality will deteriorate, or their lifetime warranty will disappear, or both. I'd almost rather have them be a little more pricey without sacrificing quality or customer service. This is coming from a guy who didn't get one of these cute little cubs though.
    Dunedin, FL
  • mark_08
    mark_08 said:

I just sent in a email to usabestdealz asking for shipping cost to Huntsville Texas. Think I will go ahead and pull the trigger on one.

Just received a email from usabestdealz. $35 to ship to me. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Saw a couple listed in eBay for $200 plus $50 shipping.
  • Lit
    My dome has a chip on the side by the felt already that popped off. Gonna submit a claim and see how they handle it. Really like the design on this but the ceramics are nowhere close to the quality of an egg. I cut slots out of the firebox today to let the plate setter sit lower and there are all sorts of stones in the ceramics.
  • Gogogordy
    edited August 2013
    They will send you a chip repair kit, which I receivd today. (I purchased two KUBs and they both had a chip near the front locating pin) Anyway, the repair kit worked perfectly....a vial of "paint" and some granules to mix into it and frankly Im not giving it a second though. Its almost impossible to see where the chip was now and of course, did not impact the functionality of the product only cosmetics. No, its not the same fit and finish as the BGE products are, but then it wasn't the same price-point either. Unless youve ground the BGE's ceramics its hard to say what thats like....nor does it really matter to most. I am going to give an "A" to Visions, for support on this, as well as a darn fine product for the price. And frankly competition is a wonderful thing for consumers and if this 1) gives an opportunity to "try" Mini sized grill for those of us who wouldnt otherwise, and 2) encourages our first love, BGE to re-think their mini market placement (pricing, options) then we all win. Consumers, Visions, AND BGE.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • mark_08
    mark_08 said:

mark_08 said:

Just received a email from usabestdealz. $35 to ship to me. Think I'm gonna pull the trigger. Saw a couple listed in eBay for $200 plus $50 shipping.
    Just placed my order from usabestdealz! Can't wait for this little guy to get here. I have a medium egg but have been wanting a mini to take on camping trips. The kub will do for now.

• Ordered mine too, should be a fun toy.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Ordered. Couldn't resist at that price. Wife will def look at me sideways when this shows up.
  • Don't order one from the online place yet. Just got an email from Vision after I registered my mini and she said they may not be honoring the warranty from this online seller.

May be better off just buying a BGE from an authorized dealer.

I'll update when I get more info.
  • Gogogordy
    Don't order one from the online place yet. Just got an email from Vision after I registered my mini and she said they may not be honoring the warranty from this online seller.

BGE treats warranty the same way and as said earlier in this thread, Costco is their exclusive seller right now....so Costco is their authorized seller and they wanted a scan of my Costco receipt upon registering the warranty when I did it. More power to you if you can swing a BGE Mini...but for those of us who can't or won't and have a stocking Costco nearby....mazel tov! And BTW as of yesterday both the Santee CA and Chula Vista Ca Costcos had nearly 40 in stock combined.
  • Gogogordy said:
    Don't order one from the online place yet. Just got an email from Vision after I registered my mini and she said they may not be honoring the warranty from this online seller.

BGE treats warranty the same way and as said earlier in this thread, Costco is their exclusive seller right now....so Costco is their authorized seller and they wanted a scan of my Costco receipt upon registering the warranty when I did it. More power to you if you can swing a BGE Mini...but for those of us who can't or won't and have a stocking Costco nearby....mazel tov! And BTW as of yesterday both the Santee CA and Chula Vista Ca Costcos had nearly 40 in stock combined.
    My warning wasn't to people buying them from Costco, it is for the online sales like I said in my first post about it. I know they honor the warranty with Costco purchases, but they told me they aren't sure yet if they will honor the warranty for online purchases from the site that is listed in this thread.

If they decide to honor them I will let everyone know, and if they don't I'll do the same. Then people can decide if they want to buy a Vision grill or just get a BGE.
  • Gogogordy
    Understood. And I understand Vision's policy as well since it mirrors BGE's. It would be great if Vision decides to honor through the other seller for those who purchased through them and Ill be interested to hear your response from them.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited August 2013
    Mexico > China
    Worth another $100+ at least....now add in China manufacturing, high heat, food.
    Id pass...but enjoy.
    Seattle, WA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    In defense of BGE these  were listed at $289 originally, not too far off from the BGEe's  mini's price.   
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser