Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini........kinda

Comments

• Just an update to those following... Usabestdealz sent me a nut and washer that was missing from my grill.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Mine came today w no problems. Just 1 nut and washer missing. Headed to the beach on Sat w it and bought a new Sig 938 today as well. All in all a good day, except for my backing killing me from setting down the Kub earlier ( had surgery in Nov).
  • Mine arrived today as well, no issues, cracks, or missing hardware. Now I just need to take the knob off the top vent and the rubber washer off the thermometer before they melt, clean the adhesive off the grate, and I think its ready for its first fire.

Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Lowflyer said:
    Mine came today w no problems. Just 1 nut and washer missing. Headed to the beach on Sat w it and bought a new Sig 938 today as well. All in all a good day, except for my backing killing me from setting down the Kub earlier ( had surgery in Nov).
    Forget about the back, we are glad you are alive. Or is it spousal abuse that caused the pain?
    :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Aviator said:

Lowflyer said:

Forget about the back, we are glad you are alive. Or is it spousal abuse that caused the pain?
    :D
    Haha! All is good here, except the back. Mama is cool w everything, she's just ready to get to the ocean. I've got 4 days to start walking straight again, sux.

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    I purchased one of the Vision Grill Kubs from usabestdealz for $160.00 delivered to Texas. It arrived on time but had a crack about 1" under the felt gasket about 5" long. Usbestdeals offered to send me a replacement outer bowl the next day. I elected glue the cracked piece with JB Weld and take a $100.00 credit from the seller. Works like a champ, now if I can for figure the difference cooking on it vs the LBGE
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Hello, Been lurking a while and finally thought I had something worth adding. My parents went to Costco in Victorville CA and bought the kub yesterday for $99.00, said they still had 11 left after they bought one. Hope this helps somebody.
  • Costco is listing them online now, but for $219.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    edited September 2013
    Costco is listing them online now, but for $219.
    Holy mark-up!   :-O

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Amazing!  Now the issue of quality compared to the BGE mini will definitely come into play.  Can't say I'd be interested at that price!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BGE mini costs more but I think they are higher quality, and the customer service from BGE is leaps and bounds ahead of Visions crappy CS.
  • How are people liking these?  Seems like a good cheap alternative if you can get it for under $150.
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    At least Costco has the lifetime customer satisfaction policy. That's as strong a lifetime warranty if you don't mind having to purchase a new one down the road instead of just fixing it.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    How are people liking these?  Seems like a good cheap alternative if you can get it for under $150.

I've found three things that are easy fixes that made a world of difference:

1. Get rid of the plastic piece on the daisy wheel it will melt. An 8/32 screw with a nutsert to replace the plastic piece works well. It's way easier to do this when you take the top apart.

2. While you have the top off remove the center screw and cut the spring in half. Crimp the cut end closed a little and put the cut end towards the screw head. This allows you to tighten the screw until it  stops and allows the daisy wheel to slide much easier, especially when it's hot.

3. Remove two screws off of one end of the draft door and slide out the "screen" and the door. You'll need a 4mm allen and an 8mm wrench, 8mm is what came with it. The screen part has numbers and lines stamped into it which are raised and  catch or click on the draft door guide. Bad idea. Take the screen door and a ball peen hammer over to your vice and carefully hammer the raised areas flat. Be careful not to change the curvature of the door. Now take the door and you'll find two small raised areas top and bottom which are made to hold the door tight in the track. Problem is too tight. Give these little raised spots the same treatment as you gave the numbers. Put it all back together and the whole system will slide pretty smooth.

Hope this helps

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    How are people liking these?  Seems like a good cheap alternative if you can get it for under $150.
    it really is a nice cooker and has some features that bge should have upgraded to a long time ago. the daisy isnt as nice though and im going to try the fix that was mentioned. if this deal hadnt come along i would of never gone out and paid 400 for the mini bge
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • How are people liking these?  Seems like a good cheap alternative if you can get it for under $150.
    it really is a nice cooker and has some features that bge should have upgraded to a long time ago. the daisy isnt as nice though and im going to try the fix that was mentioned. if this deal hadnt come along i would of never gone out and paid 400 for the mini bge

Im with you there, and for what its worth This competiive product has shown the value of the Mini-sized ceramic cooker to many of us who wouldnt have taken the plunge otherwise. So in terms of collateral, future business Im sure BGE will sell some Minis as a result of these KUBs being purchased and discussed onthis forum.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Aviator
    I like mine. Very easy to start and do small cooks. I paid 79.99 and is a steal.

Chattanooga, TN.

• So first post here! 

TD66snrf - Nice mod's.  I'll be trying those out soon.

Thought I'd share my my mod as well.  Like an earlier poster I found that the grill was a tight fit.  During use when I went  to remove the grill to add in some wood chunks, I found it had expanded to the point it would not come out.  Yikes!  Over time I wonder if this would crack the ceramic?

After cool down I closely inspected the grill and found the culprit:  The grill grates extended perhaps 1/8" beyond the circumference of the grill (sorry no pictures).  Therefore the grill had plenty of side to side space but not front to back due to the oversized grill grates. 

To fix this I dremeled off the hang-over grill grate sections with a cut-off wheel.  15 minutes later and the problem was fixed.  Grill now has ~ 1/4" play in all directions and after heat up the grill does not expand and lock into place.

Hope this helps others.

• What are folks using to go indirect w the Kub?
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Lowflyer said:
    What are folks using to go indirect w the Kub?
    I use a mini woo from Ceramic Grill Store. I had to grind some groves in the fire ring do it didn't slide around. Works great now

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    Lowflyer said:
    What are folks using to go indirect w the Kub?
    i found a tank end at work but any pan the right size with some holes put in it would work, it makes it inderect and raises the grill

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    This thread would be similar to discussing a KIA on a Toyota forum.

Hey guys I got a new Camry.... Kind of...
    Seattle, WA
  • Update on my cracked kub.  The guys at http://usabestdealz.com gave me a full refund 2 weeks ago so I didn't have to wait for the USPS insurance claim they are filing.  It's now sitting in my garage waiting for the call from USPS inspectors for examination.

So far, I've had a good experience with this company.  I will buy from them again.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Pinkfacemark
    Pinkfacemark Posts: 70
    edited January 2014
    They had the Akorn JR. aka Little Red Kamado at Menards last night.  They had quite a few of them left at my local store and they were priced at $150.  ($133.50 after 11% rebate thru 01/11)

I thought about picking one up, but was kind of curious what the forum thought before I did.  Also, I am in the middle of painting some rooms in my house and will be going back a few times this week.  If any one has any questions they want answered I can take a look at the demo. 

Link:

Also, do you think a mini place setter would fit in one of these?
  • Aviator

My lil kub is going strong....

Don't know much about the Akorns.

Chattanooga, TN.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Cooking area is interesting..
    • 154 sq. in. total cooking area
    That's a 14" grill surface.  

Mini egg is 10" - 79 sq in.
    Small is 13" -  133 sq in.
    Medium is 15" -  177 sq in
    So, its comparable in cook size between a medium and a small..

I don't think mini accesories will work.  In fact, with the odd size, you are most likely in DIY land for accessories.  Might not be a bad thing, can be done - but you wont get and AR :)

I don't have input into how steel holds up, etc, but it sure is interesting!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I was wondering.. Lump burns real hot.  I'm not confident the steel will hold up.. from the manual:
    WARNING:  DO NOT OPERATE ABOVE 700 ̊ F / 425 ̊ C 

The firebox will have lump much hotter then 700, my bet is the steel firebox eventually gives out, even if you hold temps low.  

For that price, you aren't expecting a lifetime grill.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.

• For that price, you aren't expecting a lifetime grill.
    Agreed, it would be a fun toy that would last a few years.  
  • EazyE
    EazyE Posts: 67
    Not to change the subject from the Kub, but I was just in my local Sams club, and they had a "Large" vision grill for $589, and that comes with a cover. It has the side tables like the Kub and a nest for it. Looked like a great deal for $589 for someone looking for a second egg or cheaper one maybe.