Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Lethal Injection (Brisket)

OK, so my last brisket came out pretty good.  It was only my second attempt, and part of me is wondering if it wasn't simply dumb luck.  I basically followed Franklin's method.  I had a 10-lb brisket from Whole Foods (not too many other options around here) that was very expensive but very high quality.  It's not entirely clear to me it was a whole packer - I asked for one, but all the ones they had looked more to me like flats, despite the "whole brisket" on the label. 

Anyway, I went with a simple S&P rub, no injection, put it on the egg (indirect, PS legs up) with a healthy amount of apple wood chunks mixed in with the lump. I had a large drip pan filled with water.   I kept it at 250 dome and left it alone - never opened the top until about 11 hours later. No wrap, no spritz, nothing special.   I pulled it at roughly 200+, once it seemed sufficiently tender.  Served it to my folks, who said it was the best thing they've had off my BGE (and they've eaten a fair amount).  It was fairly moist - quite a bit better than the first brisket I cooked (which was a flat, no doubt).  My Dad asked me if there was anything I'd do differently the next time, and I said I thought I might try an injection.

So, any downside to injecting?  I'm up for giving it a try, and am thinking I'll keep it simple - maybe just beef broth.  Do folks let it sit with the injection overnight, or can it basically go right on?  
If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Currently in Okinawa, Japan

Comments