Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

31 lbs of Pork, I may be crazy

I have had my egg for about 6 weeks now, have yet to do a pork butt, but could not wait any longer.  I have a few nights this week I am "batching it", and have a flexible work schedule, so decided to take it on as an overnighter tonight.  I have been reading extensively on this forum, and studied Elder Ward's method on Naked Whiz, and since it is so rich in details, decided that was the method I would follow.  Planned to light the fire at 10:30.

It seemed a waste to build a big fire and go to all that trouble for a single piece of meat, and it occurred to me that some of my friends might like to throw a butt on my grill.  I sent an email and got two takers.  Had everything arranged, fire laid, rub mixed, and a 3rd friend walked into the yard with another pork butt at 8:30 tonight.  No problem, I had a triple batch of rub, my Egg is an XL, just needed to go to a raised grate to accomodate all this meat.  Scary thing, is I have never done a pork butt, and I am starting off with 4 at once!  I am using the plate setter with a drip pan, apple chunks for smoke, and about 10 lbs of Wegmans lump (made by Royal Oak).  The raised grate is a standard Weber 22" held up by 3 flower pots.

Lit the chimney at 10:30, put the coals on the carefully laid fire at 10:45, had the meat arranged and the lid closed at 10:50.  Lots of smoke at first (as I expected), but it settled and hit my 200 deg target about 20 minutes later.

It is now past midnight, I have been holding 200 for over an hour, so I am going to bed.  I will check a couple of times during the night.  Will post some updates later, and pictures once the cook is finished (if you're lookin', you ain't cookin').
pork-31.jpg
1200 x 800 - 197K
smokin.jpg
1200 x 800 - 189K
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments