Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My stainless steel table

Goatsegg
Goatsegg Posts: 113
edited August 2013 in EGG Table Forum
I got an XL Egg for Christmas and have had a great time learning from both my successes and my failures. I've cooked butts, tri-tip, baby backs, pork tenders and chicken a bunch of different ways. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts and love the forum. I worked in the restaurant biz for many years and went to culinary school in NY. After trolling the table forum for months, I decided to go with a stainless steel table. I found a local resource and took delivery tonight. Pics are attached. Can't wait to break her in,imageimageimageimageimage
-The Goat
Marietta, GA
XL BGE

Comments

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Nice set up.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited August 2013
    Nice table.  I wonder if those guys could deliver?  What was the price point on that bad boy (if it's not too rude to ask)?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Goatsegg
    Hi dweebs0r. I can get you the guys contact if you're interested. I live near Atlanta if that helps, if you're out west, it could get $$. Let me know if you want contact info.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Outstanding
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    What gauge and type of stainless?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That looks fantastic. I love the peg board wall for hanging grids and what not - never thought of that and I have just the space for it.
  • Goatsegg
    Tspud1- it's made of 16 ga SS with a SS frame. He also fabricated the towel holder and bottle opener tab per spec.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great- congrats!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Tspud1
    What did you put around the hole in table top? I have looked for a couple of years for some type of trim to go around that cut out. Maybe you could add a couple of slide out storage bins to underside of the bottom shelf. Does a magnet stick to your table?
  • Goatsegg
    Tspud1- I only have a small magnet ant it sticks in some areas of the table but not others. I plan to use a c clamp to attach my cyber q for long cooks. I was thinking of bins or maybe wooden wine crates to hold gear/chips etc. looks like rain tonight but I had to break her in! Lamb chops and sirloin. On the ring, he used "c"channel, put it on a roller and then plasma cut it. He said that gives him 2 rings per piece.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    edited August 2013

Very nice. I'm thinking of doing something similar if the price is not too crazy.  I'm sure some of my friends find my stained wood BGE table top a little grimmy looking. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

With regards to holding the cyber q, I wonder if it would be easier to mount it to a nice piece of wood which would be heavy enough not to get blown over, yet could moved around on the table. Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy it, it's a beauty

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• Tspud1
    Where the magnet sticks is most likely 4 series stainless, probably 430. The better grade or type of stainless, type 304, a magnet will not stick to. Here is one similar to yours and another with drawers under bottom shelf
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Nice! I love my Stainless table, just look at my Avatar
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    And the hole?... Umbrella?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tspud1 said:
    Where the magnet sticks is most likely 4 series stainless, probably 430. The better grade or type of stainless, type 304, a magnet will not stick to. Here is one similar to yours and another with drawers under bottom shelf
    Most of the time you can't get a magnet to stick on 304  but there is a process called martensitic stress induced transformation (MSIT) that can occure from either work hardening or the way it's aged or cooled.  This can lead to magnatism.  I see it on maybe 20% of the stainless we get in our shop when checking.  316 you hardly ever see this happen but it IS possible.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • BTW, if anyone is looking for a ring as a trim piece or whatever, that's all we do is roll structural steel and we roll a LOT of stainless angle, leg in or leg out...

anglerings.com  is my biz
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Goatsegg
    When I checked the mag only stuck near frame junctions so I suspect it may be weld material? Not sure though. @Tspud1 asked about the ring. @henapple- I had a hole cut in the top to feed gas line through for a burner set up. (Haven't bought that yet) I plan to have the propane sit on the ground and feed the connection through the hole. If anyone has recommendations on high BTU burner setup, I'd love to hear.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Yeah, you're probably right, he probably used a 400 series wire to weld it together which is fine.  You'll know real soon if he didn't use stainless wire or not, I'm sure he did.  The table looks great and very functional.  Enjoy!
     Brillat-Savarin
  • BTW, I have some experience with propane and natural gas burners.  Years ago, I made my own burner on a rig that we made for flat top cooing, pancakes, etc.  With those, I got a piece of black pipe and put little slicles on both sides with a bandsaw and then made a shutter at the inlet end with a larger cut and a piece of pipe on top of that.  This was for propane and beacuse of the high pressures on a propane tank (around 20psi) it worked great.

on the apparatus which had that burner, I got tired of changing propane bottles so I converted it to a "thunder" burner like this: 

making that change to natural gas for me made a lot of sense because that unit wasn't portable.  For me the NG is easier to use and cheaper.  The biggest problem I had with the NG was regualting it because of the low psi (around 2lbs where I live).  

Hope that helps a little.  
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Tspud1
    I have some burners if you want to message me. Maybe one would fit your space. I also have the valves and gas regulators that you would need. Here is a table that has an induction cooker in the top.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @ringkingpin  you have a very impressive company! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Goatsegg
    @ringkingpin, thanks for the info. I dont think having natural gas line run is an option, at least not yet. That thunder burner looks like the real deal. Did you build it into a table? I think I am going to start off with a movable unit. 

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Really nice table-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Tspud1
    That jet burner is going to use a lot of gas. What are you trying to cook? If you put a regulator on gas supply and change the orifice, you can run most burners on natural gas at 4" of water column.
  • Goatsegg
    @Tspud1- I want to be able to cook without running up the deck stairs to get to the kitchen, that is my starting point. The table is on wheels, so I leave it in the garage when I'm not using it. I am planning to start with a mobile set up, so that Jet burner is probably out of scope. (Sadly) I am looking at self contained, portable set ups. Looks like I've got some work to do!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Tspud1
    Did you go to the CIA?
  • Goatsegg
    Yes,I did. I graduated in '91 but had been in the biz for many years prior. Now cooking is a hobby. I changed a careers in '97
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Tspud1
    We donated some equipment to their kitchen. Isn't there another one out in California now?
  • Goatsegg
    There is. CIA California was a winery (Greystone) they also have one in San Antonio, TX. I have a friend who is an instructor in NY. The campus in NY has changed a lot since I was there!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

•  

Tspud1 said:
    I like the stainless table picture on the right, but then that's my table and back yard in the picture.  <grin>