Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket - Tough - Quick Question

Options
Just attempted my first brisket flat (5.5 lbs). Was following Dr. BBQ's Smoked Flat-cut Brisket with Coffee recipe from BGE Lifestyle magazine. Although I didn't follow the instructions to the letter, I was close. But in order to keep this short... and I know this has been covered ad nauseum, but after 7 hours ( and the recipe calls for 6 to 7 hours)... I was still only at 190... so I powered it up and got it to 200 fairly quickly. It was now 8 pm and wife was hungry. When I served it, believe me, it was gorgeous looking, see pictures, but it was tough and dry. I have read many times that if it is still tough, it has not been cooked enough. But really? Would cooking it some more really have made it more tender and somehow bring out the juiciness? I have read many of these posts that say so. Guess I just need some reaffirmation before I put another $50 piece of beef on the fire. Thanks in advance for your input.

image     image     image

Chris
Falls Church, VA
Large & Mini

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I am about 2 for 10 on brisket, so take it with a grain of salt.

First, I would start with cooking a whole packer if you can find one. At least the point will still be juicy if the flat is dry.

Second, cook until the probe slides in and out without resistence. This temp varies, but my last one was around 210.

Third, I think the FTC is an important step for briskets--- IMO

I would say it needed more time, but sure does look tasty

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • AlohaCJS
    AlohaCJS Posts: 46
    Options
    OK, thanks Chubbs, I will remember the probe trick. Might be the key.
    P.S. I am not having problems with staying logged in (responding to your post this morning)
    Chris
    Falls Church, VA
    Large & Mini
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I only cook packers - so take this with a grain of salt.   If I was going to cook a flat - I think I would lean towards a method that was based on braising.
    Cookin in Texas