Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Interested in grinding my own beef

What cuts do you use?  All of them?  I am interested in starting to grind my own beef for everything from tacos to burgers.
·

Comments

• ribeye makes the best in my opinion but gets expensive pretty quick
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    ·
  • I use brisket point and flat.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We are big fans of chuck roasts for my ground meat. I buy 6 to 8 pounders at a time from Sams. I don't use all the hard fat and if too lean I actually grind in bacon grease - especially for meat for chili!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • wallyjarwallyjar Posts: 123
    I have use a couple of combinations.

Sirloin, country ribs and Chuck

Brisket, ribs and Chuck.

Both liked by all in family.  Very moist and great taste.

·
  • I've been using half brisket and half chuck. It's a big improvement over store bought ground beef. Even my wife loves it, she even suggests burgers now!  We're looking to upgrade from the Kitchenaid grinder to something more uh, beefy.

·
  • Use a Kitchenaid, and follow wicked good burger book suggestions for ideas.  Usually about 65 to 75% chuck, and rest flap steak or skirt steak.  Have used beef short ribs also for the lesser part.

Good luck

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,843
    Short ribs, ox tail, Sirloin, Chuck, brisket. My favorite have been 60/40 chuck/short rib.
    ·
  • TFolsTFols Posts: 196
    I just did chuck, brisket and bacon that I cured and smoked on the egg. This is my favorite mix.
    Bloomfield, NJ
    ·