Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight tips to share?

Options
Still a new egger. Last night made second attempt at overnight low and slow. I put an 11lb (PRE trimmed) brisket on about 10:00pm, expecting a 12hr cook. This morning at 6:30am the dome temp was 275, exactly where it was last night. Perfect! I was surprised when the thermapen readings showed 205-210 on the brisket. Again, perfect- if I was planning on a brisket breakfast! I've got it FTCing now and will figure out rewarding later. Any thought on the quick cook time? Are longer cooks for bigger briskest than 11lb? I did use inverted PS with a water filled drip tray. Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is not what you are asking but I found I can sleep all night and go turbo (everything) and sleep all night.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fake_Chow
    Options
    I do my over-night brisket at about 225/230 and seem to always get the cook to 12 to 14 hrs.  I would keep your temp down a bit over night and raise it in the AM if needed.  Has your thermometer been calibrated? that might also be something to check.
  • TamaleTim
    Options
    Thanks. I'll have to check the thermometer. The egg always seems to settle at 275. I don't t
  • carlharper
    Options
    Listen to Mickey. Unless you need your finished product for breakfast, an overnighter is never necessary.

East Fallowfield PA

KCBS Master CBJ/CTC

Large and Small BGE

BBQ Guru Onyx Oven Smoker

Pit Barrel Cooker

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Mickey - I am of aware of your method with butts & ribs. Is there a brisket method for turbo that I have missed?? I am all bout some sleep!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    First off: I have not done this yet ( on the short list). Also I am sorry but I can't remember who gave this to me. Several have done it and reported back good. Turbo Brisket 350 for 3 hours or to 165, then foil (double bottom layer) then 2 hours until 195, (take it a little higher than typical 185-190 for low and slow) help breakdown the connective tissue, then in a cooler wrapped in towels for a hour or so. When you unwrap, foil is full of juice!! Only use full packers and put a lot of wood chips and chunks to get as much smoke in before the meat hits 140, good smoke ring most of the time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thank you @Mickey. On my to do list now.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

@Mickey, "only use full packers"?  I don't think I can find one around here.  What about the turbo style on as big a flat as I can find?

What do you think?

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon