Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Boston Butt

Options

Simple Boston Butt 

Whether your a newbie, novice or pro, this simple Boston Butt recipe is sure to please.

I start with a dry rub.  My personal choice is taken directly from the Big Green Egg website from Dr. BBQ.

Big Time BBQ Rub

From Dr. BBQ’s "Big Time Barbecue Cookbook” by Ray Lampe and published by St. Martin’s Press

This is a very good and basic BBQ Rub. It works well on any food for smoking or grilling.

½ cup salt
½ cup turbinado sugar
¼ cup granulated brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne
1 tablespoon thyme leaves
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.

Yields 1½ cups

I coat entire Butt with regular yellow mustard and light the grill. Coat the Butt with a generous layer of dry rub.  If you can see mustard, cover the gaps!

Once the grill is heated to approx. 250° F, I add soaked wood.  My personal wood preferences are hickory (and possibly pecan, apple or cherry mixed in).  My ideal cooking temperature is around 225°.  Once I add the soaked wood, my temperature will drop to around 225°

Place placesetter over burning charcoal, add drip pan and grid.  Place Butt on the grid and shut the lid.  
There are 2 trains of thought.  Pick one or the other for the finishing touch:
  1. Don't open again until the internal temperature is 190° F.
  2. Remove Boston Butt when it has reached an internal temperature and wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil.  Replace onto grill and continue cooking until you've reached an internal temperature of 190° F.

Once the internal temperature is 190°, remove the Boston Butt from the Big Green Egg.  Let rest 30 minutes by wrapping in a towel and then placing in either an empty cool or in cool oven.

Pull your pork, add sauce (if desired) and serve.  

Buns or white bread recommended for sandwiches and platters.

Be sure to have lots of extra sauce on hand, pickle slices and lots of napkins!

Recommended pairings for Southern BBQ:  cool creamy cole slaw, potato salad, Brunswick stew, corn or your favorite(s).

If you stop by and enjoy our recipe, please be sure to add your photos!

Comments