Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Simple Spares on a MBGE - Step By Step

Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
edited August 2013 in Pork
We love spares. We go ahead and buy St. Louis cut, choose a rub/sauce/wood combo, let the egg do it's thing, and reap it's sow.

We basically do a modified version of Aaron Franklin's YouTube video due to the condensed grid space on the Medium Egg.

While the Egg is preheating and getting to a stable 275 dome temp, I remove the membrane and rub the spares down. Today we chose another John Henry rub, his slippery hill sauce, and apple wood for smoke. I also trim off the loose meat and hanging fat.

I cut my 2 slabs of spares in half and place them in the VRack for 2 hours uncovered at 275 indirect dome temp. My drip pan typically has apple juice in it, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

After two hours, I open the egg and spritz the spares with a little bit of apple juice and coat a thin layer of sauce on them. I then let them sit for another 15 minutes to let the sauce settle.

When the 15 minutes is up, I spread some sauce on aluminum foil and place the spares meatside down and wrap them up tightly. I place them back in the egg for another 2 hours at 275 indirect dome.

Once we start getting within 15 minutes of the 2 hour mark, I start checking for doneness with the toothpick test. Once the toothpick slides in and the meat feels like it'll be tender but still have a good tug, I pull the spares and let them sit for 30 minutes.

Add your sauce of the day and enjoy!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·

Comments

• Looks fantastic.  When you wrap in foil, I assume they go back in the rack?

·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Yes. I've never had a problem with the foiling, but after reading all the other discussions... I may go commando the whole time on my next rib cook.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·