Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Grates

Am I the only one that hasn't upgraded my fire grate? I see a lot of discussions, was just curious to pull the masses and find out the Pros and Cons. Is it really better, which one is most recommended, and has anyone tried a new fire grate and switched back to the traditional. Have a great weekend, cheers!
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• Not I, got tired of having the round holes get blocked with smaller pieces of lump. Use the High-Q grate now, won't go back to the original grate.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    A High Q grate is not a need, but it is nice to have. Upgraded on both mini and large. Helps the start and heat up time and don't have to worry about holes getting blocked. One can easily survive without high Q grate though.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The OEM grate is fine for high air flow cooks, not so good foe low and slows, IMHO. I keep my original and do use it if the egg is empty and I plan a steak or pizza cook.....
    The High-Q works very well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I love mine on the large. I saw the biggest difference during start up and low and slows.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Thanks for the advice all.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • I've used the stock grid, spent $80 on something called the turbo grid, and finally the high-que grid. High-que is by far the better of the three.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    BGE has been around a lot longer than the high air flow grates-but as mentioned above it is a nice to have if you have issues with air-flow.  I have never had a problem with the stock grate on a LBGE but I do generally sort/stack lump if on a low&slow cook which probably mitigates any air-flow concerns.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • How does the higher air flow with the High-Q affect the low and slow cooks? Any issues with running out of steam on a long cook?

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

No issue at all on low-n-slow.  It is always the air flow regulated by both the vents that handles that.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon