Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fridays spatchcock chicken and apps

JRWhitee
JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
Tonight we did pig shots, ABT's, Spatchcocked Chicken and Yukon potatoes. I brined the chicken last night with a gallon of water cup of kosher salt, 1/2 cup of sugar and 8 smashed garlic cloves. I also followed @saltysams yukon potatoes in pan under the chicken. Everything was excellent it was my first time brining a chicken and will be doing it from now on. The yukon gold potatoes were to die for, evoo salt and pepper, I did have spacers between the pan and plate setter, the chicken was seasoned with Texas chicken tickler and sat in the fridge all day in a pan to dry out the skin which turned out crispy for the first time. The chicken was plump and juicy with a slight garlic flavor. Had friends over and the couldn't believe how good everything was. Thanks to the recipes on this forum and all you guys make me look real good.

Johns Creek, Georgia

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great looking cook. No wonder everyone enjoyed it.
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Thanks TJ

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That all looks just perfect.  I am sure the taters were amazing.  I am a big fan of the pan of veggies under the bird.  It is a great way to get a meal on the egg at one time.  I am definitely gonna try those taters.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Booyah! Glad you liked it! You absolutely made my night. My first "nod" on the forum.

Good call on brining the bird, too. It's a but time consuming, and requires advance planning, but its easy and makes a world of difference.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Brining is awesome just don't forget to rinse well or the chicken will be salty....don't ask how I know lol.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).