Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Question: Meat Eggsperts Needed!

Options
I recently saw this posted from a grocery store that is regarded as having the best meat (outside of Whole Foods and specialty meat markets)

"PORK is "Quite simply the best." Specially selected to be the leanest in the industry.
PORK is not graded the same way as beef, so the major criterion for selecting PORK is the leanness of the 
individual cuts."

What do you think?  To me, the best meat is well-marbled, adequately aged, hand-cut fresh, not stressed when slaughtered (dark cutters), and has no brine or blade tenderization added to it.

I understand they are graded differently, but would leaner pork really make it better?  I am a big fan of heritage breeds....
Chat it up!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Marketing. 

Hogs have the remarkable capability of incorporating the fats they eat directly into their own fat. This not only makes the flavor vary in quality and intensity depending on diet, but can transfer the desirable vegetable fats they eat to the humans who eat them.

Breeding hogs that tend to accumulate less fat, and then feeding them just enough to get them to market, means less input for pounds sold. It doesn't mean better nutrition, and it certainly doesn't mean lead to a better dinner.

There's a reason people will spend a small fortune to eat pork from an animal that spent a couple of years rooting around for acorns. Eat less, but eat better.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    IMO fat = flavor. I like ribeyes why? Because they are marble with what? Fat. In the end it is what you and who you are cooking for want. I myself love marbled beef and pork. It just has that it factor.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL