Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What if we all die young? (danger of inhaling that hardwood dust)

2»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    It is interesting that someone was grinding this up and using it as salt!

INGESTION: Not likely, if swallowed seek medical attention
    Can we revisit this idea?? It doesn't make sense to me, but no one else commented before it fell off. A few people said they did it, I don't see the advantage, just that it is a bad idea.  And @thebaron , if your gonna flag a comment, have the balls to say something about your thoughts.
    I agree- it definitely seems odd.  Just to clarify what we are talking about- on BBQ Pitmasters someone used grated lump charcoal and mixed it with salt and used it as a seasoning.  Someone mentioned there is a recipe in  Adam Perry Lang's book Charred & Scruffed.

They did mention using "organic" charcoal whatever that means.  

I'm assuming @thebarons 's flag was a slip of the finger :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    My dad worked on the coke oven lids in the steel plant ...lottsa men died from  the dust etc.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• thebaron
    thebaron Posts: 23

Can we revisit this idea?? It doesn't make sense to me, but no one else commented before it fell off. A few people said they did it, I don't see the advantage, just that it is a bad idea.  And @thebaron , if your gonna flag a comment, have the balls to say something about your thoughts.

I agree- it definitely seems odd.  Just to clarify what we are talking about- on BBQ Pitmasters someone used grated lump charcoal and mixed it with salt and used it as a seasoning.  Someone mentioned there is a recipe in  Adam Perry Lang's book Charred & Scruffed.

They did mention using "organic" charcoal whatever that means.  

I'm assuming @thebarons 's flag was a slip of the finger :).  

Yeah, on my phone this causes problems. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt and not referring to my manhood.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

I'll revisit it. Ingesting charcoal (activated with O2) is actually a treatment for poisoning and other medical issues. Not the same as inhaling it, but charcoal is what's in a lot of water filters. No problem ingesting it.

I'll revisit it. Ingesting charcoal (activated with O2) is actually a treatment for poisoning and other medical issues. Not the same as inhaling it, but charcoal is what's in a lot of water filters. No problem ingesting it.

I've given plenty of people charcoal, and I have a water filter coming off my pump house. Shaving my lump over my plate and activated medical charcoal really seam different, but after some reading guess its not.

XLBGE 
  • That sounds like a big PITA.
    Flint, Michigan