Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Just bought a calf

Grass fed hormone free Angus Longhorn cross.  Needs 2 more months in pasture then he will belong to the family.  We are splitting it up 4 ways.  Total cost including slaughter, butchering and wrapping for freezer is $2.40 per pound.  The brisket will be small so that will go for ground meat.  Only thing none of us want the tongue...butcher gets to keep that.  
I have asked for shank bones cut to 4 inch lengths, for the cheeks (no one else wants them) and for the skirt steak.   Not sure how we are going to split up the tail (we all want that for stock).  
Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX

Comments

• Are you going to name him before ya'll slaughter him?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    He already has a name..I don't want to know his name or see a picture of him cause if I do I won't be able to eat him.  
    Niece and NIL went out last weekend to see him and they said he was really a good looking calf....That is all I want to know.
  • BigGreenBamaGrillerBigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 582
    edited July 2013
    I believe this is him.

I know he's a cute booger, but don't feel bad, he's a real jerk. He deserves what's coming
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Thought you were going to spatchcock it =))
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,329
    Why doesn't anyone want the tongue? I'm still digging around the deep freeze looking for our tongue, I know the cow had to have one. 

Congrats man, going to taste amazing. 

XLBGE 
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,780
    edited July 2013
    Nice, but shouldn't the title be "Just bought half half calf"?   :D, just funnin!
    canuckland
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    edited July 2013
    I believe this is him.

I know he's a cute booger, but don't feel bad, he's a real jerk. He deserves what's coming

:-)). :-)) Did you notice the spot near the shoulder looks like a boors head One head too. Like the tail
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,806
    You could name him "Sir Loin" "Hamburger" "Rump Roast". That is what I did when we were raising our own beef on a hobby farm we once had. That way the kids didn't get to attached to them. :D
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    Good call on the cheeks. We just got back from Vegas and I had veal cheek capellaci (stuffed pasta) that was to die for. I'd love to find some to play around with.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TamaleTimTamaleTim Posts: 24
    Take the tongue!  I made some great lengua tamales last New Years!
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,193
    Good luck with the 1/4 when it arrives. Friend ran a herd of about 50 Herfords on his hobby farm. Helped him slaughter a couple for some of the meat. One guy who helped us pretty much became a vegetarian after watching, Depends how you have been brought up I think. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Letz4wheelLetz4wheel Posts: 236
    @griffin Check Mexico for the cheek meat. I just took a whole load down that way :) At the warehouse I said "what in the heck do they use this for" A mexican responded "that is our Sunday meat" I had never heard of it before. Working in the packing industry has opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. Some of it good lol. I hauled a load of chicken feet down to a port, they were going to China to be sold on sidewalks. Amazingly we use something like 98% of the chicken, 93% of the cow, and a high percentage of the pig. I don't know what they do with all of the parts and I learned early on....don't ask...they might tell :)
    Southern Indiana
  • AcnAcn Posts: 1,077

Good luck with the 1/4 when it arrives. Friend ran a herd of about 50 Herfords on his hobby farm. Helped him slaughter a couple for some of the meat. One guy who helped us pretty much became a vegetarian after watching, Depends how you have been brought up I think. 

From when my Mom was little until I first remember going there my grandparents got a calf every year. They lived on a potato farm so they just kept it there. They always named it Freddie (no idea why), and every once in a while Freddie would disappear for a little while and then there would be another Freddie, although this one was much smaller...

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 692
    edited July 2013
    years ago, I knew someone who had pigs named Pork and Chop.... :)