Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Second Cook, first smoke...Addicted already

I just used my egg for the second time and I'm in love already!  My first cook was a steak, pretty basic.  It was a NY strip and I seasoned with salt, pepper, and olive oil and cooked it for 4 min a side on the cast iron grill.  Came out perfect medium rare and was far better then anything my weber gas grill ever produced.  

After reading countless posts about eggsessories and days of back and forth I finally decided on getting the CGS AR B&R Combo.  For my first indirect cook with it I went pretty basic, chicken drumsticks seasoned with salt pepper and olive oil once again.  I cooked them at 350 for 30 min a side with some hickory chips.  After the hour I based them in KC Masterpiece Original and cooked them about 5 more min a side at 400 and moved them to the edges of the grate unblocked by the oval stone so they would get some direct heat and crisp up the skin a little bit.  When I pulled them from the egg the meat was falling off the bone, the meat was moist and the skin was crisp...they were perfect.  I made the entire package of 5 drums with plans of eating 3 and saving the other two for lunch the next day, but they were just too damn good, and I took all 5 down.  

I cannot wait to experiment more with the egg and I am looking forward to doing my first low and slow.  Keep bouncing back and forth between ribs, brisket, and butt.  Too many choices, so many possibilities.  Anyone have any recommendations on which one to start with for a novice egghead?  

Here are some pictures of the chicken:

Before

After 30 min:

After initial cooking, and basted with KC

Finished product:

photo 1.JPG
449 x 600 - 149K
photo 2.JPG
449 x 600 - 147K
photo 3.JPG
449 x 600 - 168K
photo 4.JPG