Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What Was Your First Job?

Options
13»

Comments

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Worked in the post/mail office as clerk/bookkeeper.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    Options
    My first real job was being part of the morning stock crew in a big chain hardware store.  This set the bar for getting up early and every job since then has seemed MUCH MUCH more tolerable with start times.

Having to be there at 4:30 with Michigan winters was a rough drive and meant getting up much much earlier some days.

Pretty much just made enough to cover gas and the occasional breakfast.
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Haws72688 - Are you still in the Great Lakes State? My cave is in Flint.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Started mowing yards in the neighborhood probably at 12 or 13. Got $25 a yard I was rich.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Delivered the Peoria Journal Star, cut grass, detasselled, shoveled snow during years 9 -16.  Bus boy for a local restaurant for a year. Worked in my uncle's fabrication shop for 12 years and at the same time worked as an iron worker installing dust collection systems on grain elevators on weekends.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Besides cutting grass, my first "real" job was working in a donut shop. I was 15. During the school year I only worked on Saturday and Sunday mornings but, in the summer I worked 7 days a week. Week day shifts started at 4:30am, Saturdays usually started at 2:00am and Sundays around 4:00am. My mom would get up and take me to work until I got my DL and could get there on my own.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Working in a lumber yard, pulling orders and delivering
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    Options
    Fred19Flintstone

I am living just south of Grand Rapids these days.  Although I am driving across to Ann Arbor once or twice a month.
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Tillerman
    Tillerman Posts: 38
    Options

My first job... wow, have not thought about that in a long time.  I was hired by a neighbor to clean his shop (but that didn't really count.)  Thinking back, I was employed by a Village outside Cincinnati to paint fire hydrants when I was 14.  I had to have a work permit and everything.  Funny, I thought I was so important!  LOL

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I helped a local hog farmer with the hogs and bailing hay as well as building houses with my dad, uncle, and cousin.  Then when I was 16 - started working at the local golf course mowing greens, fairways, etc..
    XL BGE
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    paperboy and bowling alley utility person (mechanic, desk, porter)

Garnerville, NY
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    First clock-in/out job was at Burger King, putting pucks in the flame-broiler, 8th grade had to get my principal to signoff, and I could only work 2 hour shifts. It was nuts.  They would fill the breakroom with kids, all of us off the clock.  When a rush came in, the manager pops in and says "I need a few of you", and we'd clock in.  Once the rush was done, they'd have us clock out and go back to the breakroom.  Might work one hour if we were lucky. (Scumbag owner, but we had a blast)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    Cutting lawns and waiting on tables at a local restaurant.