There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day
is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day
is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here
Brisket Fail - Help Needed
Last weekend, I did my first brisket and it turned out to be very tough.
- 5.55 lb brisket with a 1/2 inch fat cap
- Rubbed in Dizzy Dust (couldn't find Cow Lick) and mustard
- Set in a pan of Allegro, onion, Fat Tire and some hot sauce (Travis Method)
- Smoked with a mix of hickory and cherry chunks
- Cooked at 255* from 11:30am until 5:45am when I woke up and it the fire went WAY down to 179*
- Jacked the vents open and got it back up to 255* and then it shot back up to 289* for maybe 15-20 minutes, I adjusted it back down to 255*.
- Finally hit 195* internal temp at 7:30am (total time was around 8 hours)
- FTC for 4.5 hours
Turned out really tough while the brisket had a ton of liquid in the foil. Some spots had a smoke ring while others didn't. Did I cook it too long? Anything else I can fix? Is the liquid a reason why it was tougher lock-in a temperature? I didn't really have issues with locking in a temperature while doing ribs and a pork butt.