Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brining in Soy Sauce

BotchBotch Posts: 2,487
I've been experimenting with some small, maybe 3/4" thick pork loin cutlets and how to brine them.  The first one I tried, I used enough water to cover the meat, one tablespoon of salt, and then two tablespoons of soy sauce (which has a lot of salt in it already), brined for about 2 hours and then rinsed.  Rinsed, dried, and grilled low/direct.  Good color, juicy, but slightly underseasoned and I couldn't taste the soy at all.
Today, I covered a cutlet fully with soy sauce (I buy it by the half-gallon), with a pinch of sugar to improve the browining.  Same 2 hours, same grilling technique.  This one browned magnificently (a pinch of sugar is really magic), wonderfully juicy again, but overseasoned and the soy taste was a bit too strong.
Next time, I'll either brine it for just an hour, or do a 50/50 cut with water, and sugar, for the 2 hours; that should about do it right.  

Anyone else experiment with soy as the brining agent?  What ratios do you use?  

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments