Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brining?

I generally brine pork loin, spachcook chicken, etc... and love the results.  Got me to thinking (which often times can be dangerous) does anyone ever brine beef?  I was under the impression that brining was meant for leaner cuts of meat to help with moisture, tenderness, etc...  would brining possibly work on a top round roast for say Baltimore pit Beef? What about brining brisket, butts, etc....  waste of time?

Appreciate all of your thoughts.  Thanks. 

·

Comments

• J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    I don't brine beef because IMHO it just doesn't need it. The lack of intramuscular fat on a pork loin or chicken is normally why you would brine, but beef (good beef) has plenty. I'm sure you will find someone doing it, but again IMHO I don't think it's needed for normal cuts.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    I brined an eye of round once .. it kind of tastes like corned beef - and for good reason.
    ·
  • Mud PigMud Pig Posts: 459
    TonyA said:
    I brined an eye of round once .. it kind of tastes like corned beef - and for good reason.
    Exactly, if you brine beef you will be going down a pastrami/corn beef avenue.  Marinate it sir, no need to brine.
    ·