Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cleaning

Just wondering whay everyone uses to clean the outside of their eggs! I know how to clean the inside, just want to clean the grease off outside.
·

Comments

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,363
    I just use some Dawn dishsoap in a bucket of water & a hose.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 452
    So a little soap wont hurt? How bout lysol wipes? :-S
    ·
  • I use Simple Green.  Works like a charm!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    Thanks fred and bud! Enjoy your sunday ;;)
    ·
  • How do you clean the inside?
    ·
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 5,205
    edited July 2013
    Open the vent wide, take off the daisy wheel, fill 'er up, light it and let it rip!  Oh, say goodbye to your gasket.  You'll more than likely toast that while doing a clean burn.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·

Open the vent wide, take off the daisy wheel, fill 'er up, light it and let it rip!  Oh, say goodbye to your gasket.  You'll more than likely toast that while doing a clean burn.

Its pretty cool how clean it comes!
    ·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    Why?
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • Just like a self-cleaning oven.  It burns away leaving white ceramic and ash.  It's cool!  Another tip: Pull your dome thermo before doing a clean burn or you may ruin it.

·
  • I clean the outside the same way i do the weber kettles. When its really hot, I clean it with a wet washcloth. It's so hot on the outside, it just wipes it away. Keep a bucket of water to cool the washcloth off with. Be careful, the water in the rag gets hot quick from the egg.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg, Smokin-It #3

·
  • CharlesmaneriCharlesmaneri Posts: 1,284
    I use Pool water on a micro fiber rag and elbow grease  it works fine 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
    Fred19flinstone when you do a clean burn does the inside of your egg come clean I mean the dome   because when I did it in mine the only things that got white were the plate setter ,fire ring and fire box the egg it self stayed black 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • The platesetter shielded the dome from the intense direct heat.  IMO, The platesetter is best cleaned while doing pizzas (plus you get pizza).  If the dome is what you wish to clean, do a clean burn without the platesetter.

·
    Fred19Flinstone  I will try that thank you for the tip I will report back and let you know how I make out 

Long Island N.Y.
    ·
    Fred19Flinstone   I did as you suggested a clean burn with nothing in the egg it kinda helped but the inside and dome are still not clean it went from a black color to a grey color i'm wondering if I will ever see a white color again if so what is the trick ,I loaded the fire box up to the top light it wide open and let it rip any suggestions would be of help 
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,616
    Remove the dome thermo, load her to the fire ring, let it rip. The dome should come clean. You may want to rub it with some crumpled foil. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,458
    +1 on the crumpled foil.  it does make a difference.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·