Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Construction/Assembly Forum?

Options
Hey Y'all.

Seems perhaps there should be a forum dedicated to repairs/assembly, or something... My XL is having all sorts of issues being held together. Anyone else find that the clinch studs: tiny aluminum pieces, with hardly any strength, just can't handle the weight and heft of the XL components. Maybe it's not even exclusively an XL problem!

Bought my XL in May 2012, lost both clinch studs on one whole hinge (right side), repaired, but in the process of reassembly, had a clinch stud pop right off while tightening a spring component.

Are we really meant to trust aluminum against ceramic and steel parts? It's only a millimeter and a half of the head of the stud to hold on... seems preposterous to me. Getting tired of undoing and redoing my egg assembly!

Anyone else feel similarly?

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Odd never had an issue on my XL. I've never noticed anyone else on here saying about them breaking either.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I had two break when I was putting my xl together. They were on the band. So to fix it I had to take the two out of the hinge and replaced them with bolts from the hardware store. I am also concerned, but I make a habit of checking the hinge assembly every week or two.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I will say I was impressed with the kamado joe bands... It's takes 2 guys and a 12 pack to lift the lid though.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    We should get NASA involved in this.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Have had similar issues. But have broke it down couple times. Called dealer and got the bolts I needed. But went ahead and called the mothership. They sent me the whole nuts and bolts kit. Got new lock nuts and flat washer from Ace. Agree that for expense of eggs some of the hardware is lacking in design.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2013
    Options
    I have had same problems with my XL. I bought in March 2013. The bolts are rusted bent and do not hold. I had to have someone in back help me lift the lid to get my pizza off yesterday.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Luckily, I've never had a problem with any fastener.  The only thing I ever added was an extra nuts on the big bands so they don't come loose and I lose my lid.  Has worked well so far.

Packerland, Wisconsin