Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

a possible new convert

A friend of mine heard about our eggs, and wanted a demo, so tonight was the night. Did twice baked potatoes and some nice thick steaks with asparagus on the large. 6 steaks 3 were a little thinner. Threw the thicker ones on first and then about 3 minutes later on went the thinner one. Use the extended grill and had the potatoes on top. Everything was going good, but I pulled the steaks just a tad bit late, the guys wanted their's medium rare, gals wanted a bit more done. I would like to know at what temp do you pull for med rare, I am thinking about 125-130. It just seem like towards the end of the cook the internal temps rose real quick and I went over on the temp I wanted to pull them at. It was a little nerve racking trying to get everyone's steak done right. Used the thermopen, but like I said it seemed like the internal temps took off toward the end of the cook. Everyone liked it, just wanted to have more of a handle on how to cook steaks with different requests for doneness. Any tips on how to accomplish that will be greatly appreciated. After that meal, we visited for a while and then showed my friend how I light the small, did indirect wings with 3 different flavours, those turned out real well. All and all it was a great night and was a ton of fun. Just need to find out how y"all time the different internal temps. Sorry no time for pics tonight. We may have another egghead soon. Wahoo!
TIA
·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    your rise in temp can be anywhere of 5-10 degrees after pulling depending on several factors (thickness, cut, grade, temp of cook/sear).  but basically the higher the temp the more the rise.  i typically pull about 120 when doing a reverse sear after rise i am anywhere 127-130.  this is searing low on the coals at a 600* dome but it is way hotter the closer to the coals you are.  Also, cook lots of steaks, I was cooking steak like 2-3 times a week until I got my system down.  Its fun and even the mess ups are great eating.  Hope you converted another one to the green side.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I have the same troubles trying to balance all the desired temps. By the time I plate everyone's streak I messed up which one is which. My wife is becoming more of a medium rare person with each steak I make ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I pull between 115 and 118. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,742
    GrannyX4 said:
    Hi Granny, what does the temp finish off at after the rest??
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501

I found with some of the steaks I made even if they were beyond MR they were still good tasting . I had to get over the color.

My very first cook was chicken breasts. They looked anemic. Was I surprised with how moist and tender. The egg is forgiving.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    GrannyX4 said:
    Hi Granny, what does the temp finish off at after the rest??

It turns out to be a medium rare around 122 just the way we like it. I have always been one of those cooks that cooks by looks and feel. When I got a Thermapen I started cooking the steaks to temp that was recommemded on the forum and I was over cooking them.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,742
    Thanks Granny. Will give it a try for me next time, I know SWMBO will want it done just a tad bit more.
    ·