Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rubber on nest....

ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,115

Anyone have the rubber on their nest melt to the ceramic on the egg? Looks like that has happened on mine. I am taking my Large egg an hour down the interstate in a few weeks, and afraid the ceramic will come off when I take it out of the nest. Happened to anyone?

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,886
    edited July 2013
    Chubbs I just don't remember rubber on the nest and I have a new one as well as an older one. Suggest you get a " Handler" for moving around. Have on both my Larges, just more safe. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,115
    The part that goes up to brace the "waist" or "medsection" of the egg. The three arms. The top had a little rubber on it so it doesn't scratch the ceramic. Right?
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,115

Check right here Mickey.... these are your eggs.... This area has melted and fused together on my Large.

EGGS1.jpg 137.5K
    Oh, You are talking about the rubber tips over the ends.They just pull off the Egg and slip back on. Why are you pulling out of nest. Call me 254.289.1877
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

edited July 2013
    This is how I did mine. image Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos This way not over the cab and rode the 1600 miles just fine to FL and back. Also I could handle the weight loading and unloading.

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Lot of folks posted about the caps melting here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142494/vinyl-caps-melting-to-egg

I don't have the caps on my nests so I don't have first hand experience with the issue.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,475
    The rubber caps on my small melted on my first or second high temp cook.  I had one helluva time removing it from the nest the first time I wanted to take it tailgating.  A utility knife and a little elbow grease took care of any future problems.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,070
    Stone cold pimp!