Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimalist Chicken

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
I struggled with calling this indirect chicken, to draw folks to the first pic.  This is a fine example of using an XL strength, that is thought by a lot of folks to be a weaknesses; namely cooking area and firebox size.  I wanted to do these marinated, boneless and skinless chicken breasts indirect.  I just loaded some lump in the back of the firebox, and cooked indirect in the front.  In the last 5 minutes I put them over the heat.  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.

Indirect at 400 for 30 minutes, and then 5 minutes direct until the internal was upper 150s.  Marinated overnight in KC Masterpiece Chipotle Lime.  Turned out a little tacky, sweet and citrus tasting.  Pic 2 is raw from the marinade. The meat was very juicy.

Simple plating with just some home pickled red cabbage and onion, and a few raw veggies.  Went lite tonight.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Doc_Eggerton said:  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.
    So, why didn't you post this two years ago, before I bought my Small?   X(

;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Botch said:
    Doc_Eggerton said:  I cooked a small meal on the XL and used no more lump than I would in my Small.  I also had direct and indirect in the same cook without using any stones.
    So, why didn't you post this two years ago, before I bought my Small?   X(

;)
    Actually I've grown tired of the size debate and don't comment much on it.  This seemed like a good example.  I do use my small frequently, usually reserved for meat cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Nice looking healthy meal Doc! Way
    to go showing us how to eat healthy while still using the magic which is the Big Green Egg!
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Makes me lean towards the XL when I get the okay from the boss to pull the trigger.

Looks great!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks good.  I have a medium, which I really enjoy.  However, there are times when I would like to cook some items direct and others indirect.  A larger egg would be of assistance in these instances. (Usually, I solve this problem  with my side buddies - a Weber kettle and a Weber gas grill.)  I have never cooked on a Primo, but do like the oval design.  For the same surface area, it offers both direct and indirect grilling possibilities.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Leftovers.