Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who stirs?

Okay I have been having issues with temperature fluctuations between my Maverick and my dome thermometer.The odd thing is though the Maverick reads hotter than the dome about 15 to 20 deg which is the opposite of how it should be.I had checked both thermometers and they are calibrated I am wondering if stirring my lump. could help ?
Maybe hot spots are my problem?
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Initially, the maverick at grate level should read hotter than the dome.  If it's a long cook then they will come into alignment and read the same.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I always stir before lighting but never after. I only use maverick on low and slows cooks and guard the cord with the ceramic piece.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    I don't stir as well.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited July 2013

My limited thermo (calibrated) eggsperience-for direct cooks the grid will read hotter than the dome due to being physically closer to the lump and the radiant heat. For indirects, the dome will initially read about 20-40*F hotter than the cooking grid; longer the dome is shut the less the difference-difference primarily caused by the air-flow path within the BGE.  And yes the BGE will develop internal temperature gradients-the more thermos you use the more confusing it can become.  FWIW-YMMV-

BTW-I will stir before adding lump prior to the start of a cook and also when removing the platesetter when shifting from indirect to direct using the same fire.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I do before I light and add more.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I prefer shaken... Not stirred

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Like Chubbs (and I am not saying I like Chubbs) I stir before lighting only.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Stir before adding more lump then light

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Stir, add, light it up...
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Stir, poke holes clean, and light. Have you tried calibrating both thermometers?
    Dunedin, FL
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    I stir a bit if temp is dropping too low. Not often, but definitely gets the temp rising again.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    yzzi said:
    Stir, poke holes clean, and light. Have you tried calibrating both thermometers?
    Both are calibrated perfectly.Oddly though the temperatures are exactly the same on one check after opening the dome and back off by 15 -20 deg the next time I open and close the dome and recheck? Weird or what? Its not a big deal I just don't understand it as most everyone else has a hotter dome than grid but not me???

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    It's that 1/2 hour time difference........
    Make sure the MAv is protected from direct exposure. It also depends on the size of the food package. It can have an effect on the grid temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    It's that 1/2 hour time difference........
    Make sure the MAv is protected from direct exposure. It also depends on the size of the food package. It can have an effect on the grid temp. 
    Are you asking about the size of his "package" ?
    X_X

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• hotwheels
    hotwheels Posts: 73
    Just a thought.., But you could attach the Maverick pit probe to the thin metal piece holding the dome thermometer in place briefly just as a test. I did this on my last cook just to see if there was a difference. There was only about a 4 degree difference, so I'm confident in both readings.

People say that Television is bad for you.  It's that bloody Fridge, that's killing me.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have no idea what my grid temp is. Ever. Most egg recipes specify a dome temp and that is all I am concerned about. Have a mav, but never use it. Have a DigiQ, but only use it for lo n slo. Clip the cooker probe to the dome thermo probe (though I rarely look at the Tel-Tru reading, only the digiq) and the meat probe into the meat.

A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Stir,dump and light then have a drink while the fire is settling in. If I am using the Maverick it never goes in till my dome temps have settled in and the food goes on.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414