Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cast Iron Brand

How can you tell the brand of your cast iron? Obviously, if the brand it stamped on it, it's easy, but if it's not how can you tell.

I got 2 pans recently from an estate sale for $5 and there is no markings on them, just something to the effect of No 2 5 1/2 (numbers are off, just trying to recall from memory).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE - Custom Table - CGW Swing Grate - Fastest Thermapen you can't see because it's camo- Been e-gging ever since 2013! - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2013
    I'm not really up on my antique CI, but I believe a great deal of it was made by either Griswold or Wagner. In addition to their own branded products, they made unbranded pieces for others. At some point, they merged and it got even more confusing. :)

You might try sending an email with a couple of pics to the panman, David Smith. I have done that a few times and he is usually good about replying.

http://www.panman.com/

Hope this helps.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,732
    @solson005
    @shtgunal
    @eggcelsior

Are all cast iron guys I think

@henapple invented it

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,496
    No, merely perfected cooking on it. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 8,284
    Look at the handle neck by the pan, check for markings or raised edges on the bottom. See if the are machined(smooth cooking surface) vs. regular(like Lodge) There is a chance that build-up has filled in the markings on the bottom so reseasoning could help uncover it. Look for "Sidney", "Erie", "Griswold", or Wagner". If it is at least 60 years old, it will likely be either Griswold or Wagner. Erie, PA and Sidney, OH were the foundries locations, respectively. If it is either of those, you've got some of the best cast iron ever made. Much better than anything you can get new today. I have some Wagner skillets and Griswold griddles that are all at least 80 years old, based on the markings. I'd be happy to send you pictures of the bottoms and handle markings.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,884
    @tamu2009 - why don't you post pictures of the bottom? 

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,772
    I came into possession of my grandfather's Griswold skillet and self basting lid.  The wife (yes, the wife who....) asked me to put that nasty thing away, out of sight.  It's in perfect condition and beautiful.  Sigh.  Oh well, I can always sneak it out to look at it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 231
    I'll look when I get home. I don't recall much being on the bottoms. If I see something I'll post some pics.

Thanks guys
    LBGE - Custom Table - CGW Swing Grate - Fastest Thermapen you can't see because it's camo- Been e-gging ever since 2013! - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 1,723
    If it has no markings at all, I can't help much. Post a pic of the top and the bottom.

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• tamu2009tamu2009 Posts: 231
    This is what I have. I don't guess it's anything special. I was just curious.
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 1,723
    That first one is a damn fine skillet. Don't know much about the other 2. Off brands I think, but still good to use.

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• yzziyzzi Posts: 1,255
    I agree with shtgunal. First one is a nice one. The others are obviously old and made in the USA, so most likely made by one of the big 3 (griswold, Wagner, or old lodge) but who knows. I'd use it unless it said made in China ;-)
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,255

I came into possession of my grandfather's Griswold skillet and self basting lid.  The wife (yes, the wife who....) asked me to put that nasty thing away, out of sight.  It's in perfect condition and beautiful.  Sigh.  Oh well, I can always sneak it out to look at it.

I'll be happy to put that to good use :-D
    Dunedin, FL