Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket on top pipe?

Options
I purchased my egg from a local dealer.  It was delivered pre-built.  Since before I received it I have been viewing videos and reading forums trying to be prepared and as knowledgeable as I could.  One thing I noticed is mine did not have a gasket on the top pipe.  The reason I even knew this was odd is looking at the video on the Big Green Egg website I noticed one of the last steps in building it was putting a small piece of gasket around that top pipe.  Is there a way to order just a small piece of gasket?  I don't need a full one.
Thanks,
Rich 
Long Island, NY

Comments

• I had a small piece with my most recent Egg purchase. Check back with your dealer as he may have one for you. Not sure you need it.... None of my other Eggs have it.
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Options
    My XL came with a small length of gasket but I haven't put it on yet. As the one above with the extremely long user name said, check with your dealer. :)) I wouldn't worry about it if you cannot easily get one. I'm sure there are hundreds of eggs without them.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    That is good to know.  I wanted to ensure it was not something that was needed.  I will check with my dealer. 
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    No gasket on my pipe. Get some smoke out from under the daisy wheel but I dont think it affects temp control at all. Possibly I would get faster shutdown....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I think the gasket is really intended to prevent the ceramic top and DFMT from falling off.  Depending on how far your hinge opens, they can fall off.
    The Naked Whiz