Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood lump

Options
What does everyone think of it thinking about getting a pallet just want to makesure it's good stuff before I get 30 bags

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Go visit THW site. Rockwood has a Highly Recommended rating with 31 people out of 38 voted it the best. OTOH if you are near MO why not find a source of Ozark Oak. It also has a Highly Recommended rating but far a number of people holds that opinion with 437 out of 567 voted it the best ever. I once made a 530 mile round trip to Mexico, MO to buy a bunch of OO.image great
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yes, it is quite good charcoal.  I wouldn't hesitate to order a pallet if you were in the market for that much charcoal.
    The Naked Whiz
  • baywulf
    baywulf Posts: 12
    Options
    I have used Rockwood a lot, as I ordered a pallet.  It has become my favorite, very comparable to Ozark Oak.  It is defintely worth ordering. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    We just completed a two pallet buy of Rockwood for the Nashville area.  My experience is very positive.  It is absolutely great at low and slow - burns extremely evenly with very little ash.  It doesn't seem to burn as hot as Dragon Breath on the upper end but I still can hit at least 800 F with no problem.  Ozark Oak, Rockwood, and Dragon Breath are all great lumps that get up to temp quickly and burn clean really fast - you don't have to wait long to get to "good smoke".

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    I have used both, personal preference for low temp cooks is Rockwood.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Rockwood is fantastic. Baywulf hooked me up with 5 bags at a gas station, henapple-esc. It lasts forever. I did 1 low and slow, 2 high heat sears, and 1 400 degree cook for 2 hours all on the same load.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have tried quite a few different brands of charcoal including: Good One, Ozark Oak, Wicked good, Royal Oak, Cowboy, BGE, and sevral others. Rockwood is my favorite of the bunch. As mentioned, burns clean, burns hot, great on low and slows, little ash, easy starting with the looftlighter and has a very neutral flavor profile. I have used my 3 bags and am looking for a few local guys to go in on a pallet with me. If I don't get any takers - I'll order the pallet for myself. I don't really want to spend that much all at once for a whole pallet but to me - its that good and I will if I have to!
    XL BGE
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have tried quite a few different brands of charcoal including: Good One, Ozark Oak, Wicked good, Royal Oak, Cowboy, BGE, and sevral others. Rockwood is my favorite of the bunch. As mentioned, burns clean, burns hot, great on low and slows, little ash, esy starting with the looftlighter and has a very neutral flavor profile. I have used my 3 bags and am looking for a few local guys to go in on a pallet with me. If I don't get any takers - I'll order the pallet for my self. I don't really want to spend that much all at once for a whole pallet but to me - its that good and I will if I have to!
    XL BGE
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks will be ordering soon
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Would love to find a place on Long Island to buy decent lump at a reasonable price. 
    So far no luck.
    Rich
    Long Island, NY