hey guys.....I did my first attempt at a Boston butt on Sunday and made some spare ribs as well. I'm still a newbie on using my egg and cooking BBQ.....but some things went real well and I had issues with some other stuff.
1 ) the flavor of the ribs was good and much better than my last attempt.
2) the look of the ribs were better than my first attempt
3) the flavor of the butt was fantastic....very happy with that. it was very moist and tender
4) i had a fire in my egg all day and my lump lasted me without having to refuel for nearly 11.5 hours of burning. temp control was consistent once i got it right.
the not good;
1) overall, my ribs were a bit overcooked as they had bone exposed and came off the bone too easily.
2) the bark on the butt, while it looked good was too mushy and fatty.....it did not harden up at all.....I have since done some reading on it and it appears that I may be able to fix that next time by either not wrapping the butt or not using a water pan....in other words the outside of the butt was simply too moist.
3) i let my initial fire get too hot when i first fired it up and i spent nearly 45 minutes getting it cooled back down to cook the butt....lol....i wasted nearly an hour but lesson learned.
4) my plate setter now looks like a small sacrifice was made on it.....i forgot to place foil on it to help with the cleanup so all the drippings outside of the pan went all over my plate setter....pissed me off but another valuable lesson for next time.
all and all I am pleased with yesterday's results but I know i can do better next time.....cooking on this egg is addictive!!!!
gettin lucky in kentucky! 2 XL eggs!