Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to handle a fire while cooking

Shortly after I applied the sauce for the final step while doing 3-1-1 ribs, I noticed dark bad smelling smoke started rising from the DFMT. I raised the lid and saw there was a fire in the pit. My guess is some drippings had fallen by the PS into the coals and ignited. 

I didn't want to sauce to absorb this dark smoke so I pulled the ribs off a bit early. The ribs were excellent but if left me wondering how you would extinguish a grease fire in the pit if you are still in the middle of your cook?

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cooking direct, indirect?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    henapple said:
    Cooking direct, indirect?
    I was cooking indirect with the PS in and a drip pan. I had 4 slabs laying flat on an XL so the ends of the first and fourth slabs reached over the gab between the PS and sidewall. 
    Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I will just remove the meat and close up everything until the fire burnt out completely. On the gasser I have used a fire extinguisher and but not advisable to do that on the BGE :-)
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Just close the lid and let it settle down.  It will take care of itself.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The only time I've had this trouble was on an overload, the ends of the ribs were over the gap between the setter and the fire ring, in other words the drip missed the drip pan. 
    Lesson learned - make sure the drip pan is always between the food and the "fire", then the issue never comes up. 
    On my medium this means most racks are cut in half before cooking. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Had a grease fire after cooking bacon in an aluminum pan a few weeks ago. As I removed the pan of bacon grease, it tipped and poured into the Egg. Big flare up of fire. I just closed the lid and let it burn out, then continued the cook.
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If the ribs hang over place a piece of hdaf under the exposed meat...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Generally once you close the lid flare ups aren't a problem because you are limiting the air supply.

Gerhard
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Yeah, the flames SHOULD died down after you shut off the air, but, does it really? Kinda like the refrigerator light when the door's closed...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Yeah, the flames SHOULD died down after you shut off the air, but, does it really? Kinda like the refrigerator light when the door's closed...
    Yes, they do. 
    :)
    The Naked Whiz