Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Waygu on the Egg - direct at the felt line or lower?

Options
My 14 yo daughter had the opportunity to taste Waygu about a month ago, and immediately declared "this is the best thing I've ever had in my life!"  So for her birthday she wants Waygu.  By luck, Wegmans had it on sale and I bought a few steaks.  They're thin, less than half an inch.  I'm thinking direct at the felt line, about 500, a minute each side for medium rare.  I'm less concerned about getting a good sear and more concerned about overcooking them because they're so thin.  But I could cook a few inches lower.  What do people think?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I would keep them cold until just before grilling. You can do it at the felt line or the regular level.

Otherwise hot tub it for about 40 minutes in your hottest tap water.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Does Wegmans have a butcher on staff or do they just case meat that's cut elsewhere? If they have a butcher, next time ask if they can cut you a couple of thicker steaks - any decent butcher would be happy to do that for you, and 1/2 inch steak is unconscionable.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Does Wegmans have a butcher on staff or do they just case meat that's cut elsewhere?

If they have a butcher, next time ask if they can cut you a couple of thicker steaks - any decent butcher would be happy to do that for you, and 1/2 inch steak is unconscionable.

Butcher is on staff but waygu is something like 52.99/lb at my Wegmans. They typically cut it to be about half that price per steak. It is unfortunate.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    That makes sense. $50 bones a steak is getting a bit steep.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I would go at the felt line only for a bit more response time away from the lump.  This will be a quick cook and you can always cook more-cooking less, not an option.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.