Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick straw man poll

2»

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    @Shrek  Short answer is try it with and with out water and do what works best for you

Long answer is most eggers don't use water but use some type of spacer between the plate setter and the drip pan to create an air gap.  The air gap keeps the drip pan cooler and the drippings don't burn.  The ceramics of the egg give it a large thermal mass and holds the moisture in the food.  A traditional smoker like a Weber or a Brinkman are made of thin steel,have little thermal mass, and tend to dry out meat if moisture is not added.  The water pan is essential to these types of smokers giving them more thermal mass and adding moisture.  The egg holds temps well and is not affected by wind due to its large thermal mass.  It's all in the ceramics which makes the egg the egg.   Hope this helps, have fun. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    On my large bge I use the plate setter with drip pan. On my Med bge I use a Woo ring with pan resting on the bars.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Adjustable to with either oval stone or 13 in stone on the spider. I have a plate setter that I used once that I will sell if someone wants it.

Garnerville, NY
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    plate setter with foil or drip pan
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Plate Setter with a drip pan or foil
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Plate setter with drip pan, with bolts under for air flow
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    I have the BGE plate setter, but now use mostly the Ajustable Rig with the oval ceramic plate on bottom (foiled) for low-n-slow. I haven't used a drip pan since the last time I did a butt. Foil covering the oval plate has been fine for ribs and other cooks.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    AR/Spider w/ stone. No drip pan. I'm on an XL.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    I have both the plate setter and a simple contraption, the plate setter doesn't seem to get it high enough from the flames.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Plate setter, I use a grill dome extender for felt line cooks or to go over the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TamaleTim
    TamaleTim Posts: 24
    Another PS and drip pan. Drip pans are really cheap at Costco in packages of roughly 25. I usually put a variety of liquids/seasoning in the drip pan. Not sure this helps or not, but keeps drippings from burning anyway.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I have two plate setters so I can bake or indirect cook on my two larges simultaneously. This happens more often than I originally thought it would. I use foil drip pans on shims if what I am cooking can drip on plate setter. NEVER any liquid in drip pan.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    what is the reason for either foiling the platesetter or drip pan?  My logic says, I am putting a clean ceramic piece inside of my charcoal burning grill.  If it gets dirty, so what.  It will also get hot.  The drippings from the food will hit the platesetter and sizzle away causing smoke and a wonderful aroma.  My neighbors will hate me more than they currently do.  I can live with that.  Now, if I were trying to do a turkey or something like that and wanted to save the juices for gravey, we are now having a different discussion but for just smoking a pork butt....why not go with a naked plate setter?  Legs up of course.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Plate setter. Drip pan with a little water for butts so far, no drip pan for ribs I tried. I'm still very much in experimentation mode, and haven't had time to buy too many additional toys yet. =P~
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    what is the reason for either foiling the platesetter or drip pan?  My logic says, I am putting a clean ceramic piece inside of my charcoal burning grill.  If it gets dirty, so what.  It will also get hot.  The drippings from the food will hit the platesetter and sizzle away causing smoke and a wonderful aroma.  My neighbors will hate me more than they currently do.  I can live with that.  Now, if I were trying to do a turkey or something like that and wanted to save the juices for gravey, we are now having a different discussion but for just smoking a pork butt....why not go with a naked plate setter?  Legs up of course.

Some smoke and odors from a dirty plate setter are not very appetizing.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Spider with stone, then Adjustable rig
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate