Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kombucha as marinade?

Options
For flank steak. Has anybody tried perchance?

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I saw my father in law "growing" some of that stuff and have been afraid of it ever since.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never tried it, wondered why you might want to? 
    From what I know it is a slightly alcoholic home brew using tea as a base, kinda like fermented iced tea. 
    Can see the low alcohol content acting in a marinade, not sure what the other benefits might be. Interesting idea, let us know if you try it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Kombucha contains live cultures that would die when cooked.  It takes effort to brew or money to buy.  You could probably add some vinegar or sauerkraut juices to tea to start replicating the flavor. 
  • SickEyeDiaz
    SickEyeDiaz Posts: 162
    Options
    I brew my own and had some that has been sitting in the fridge for a long time. I figured it would work good because it's vinegary and the alcohol content. I was just trying to be resourceful!

I've had some flank steak marinating in it since last night for a recipe I'm going to try. We'll see how it works.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You could be on to something.  Fear-factor tea isn't exactly something you find in everyone's kitchen.  Let us know how it turns out.
    Options
    Fear Factor Tea?!! lol

It's really good stuff actually, and good for your guts.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I just recently got hooked on Reeds but it doesn't have the traditional flavor. They use a lot of ginger.

I didn't mean to push you off it. If you already have it and don't mind using it, go for it, but you will lose the typical benefits.