Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Mini temp gauge modification issue

So after looking around through mini posts..I finally purchased some tinker wheels to lift the temp gauge out of the egg by about an inch..the only issue I'm having now..is the temp is off by about 35 degrees when it reads the temp on the inside. Anyone know how to fix this? Suggestions? I've also tried this method on my lg...same issues
·

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 3,775
    I noticed the samething on my large. I was just messin around and lifted to see what would happen and it lost 25* rather quickly. IDK on a solution

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,443
    I use the same thing and no problem. I checked with my Thermapen
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
    edited July 2013
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    Adjust the depth until you get an accurate reading.  I use a section of cork that I drilled a hole in.  The main thing is getting rid of that clip.  If you close it on some food, not having a clip keeps the probe from stabbing the meat (and possibly breaking) and getting a bias from the food.  If you really want to be precise with your temp, use a grate thermometer.. 

·
    edited July 2013
    I will use one to three. image

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,366
    +1 what @nola says about a cork.  Works very well, and if you don't have any left-over wine bottle corks, shame!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    I put the clip on the outside of the egg. I have no problems with temp reading being accurate. Makes it a lot easier to pull out can clean too. If you think you are getting bad readings from the gauge take it out, clean it and rue calibrate. I do that about every 6 months
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
    That clip should be the first thing pulled from "inside" any Egg.

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    Here's mine. Heat resistant silicone.
    gauge.jpg
    462 x 466 - 61K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,187
    I put the clip on the outside of the egg. I have no problems with temp reading being accurate. Makes it a lot easier to pull out can clean too. If you think you are getting bad readings from the gauge take it out, clean it and rue calibrate. I do that about every 6 months
    Being an idiot, I lost the clip the first time I took the thermo out to calibrate it. I felt like a genius when I noticed how many folks throw them away. 
    Never thought about putting the clip on the outside, great idea. Spaces the thermo, easy to adjust (rotate until target temp is at 12 o'clock position so you can see how its doing) and it stays put. Well worth cleaning and recalibrating on a regular basis. Good advice!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·