Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Trying gasketless

My nomex gasket finally cooked off si I'm gonna try going without one. I did pizzas on sunday with great results. I plan on doing a shoulder this weekend to see how she does on a low-n-slow. I was never a lid dropper anyway, so I should be ok.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,672
    I tried gasket-less too when I burned up my original cheap felt gasket. Worked fine for cooking but ate up the lump big time when I went to shut it down. Didn't like that.  Put on a Rutland and couldn't be happier.  Made a big lump consumption savings on my egg.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,652
    You've  got the plan-it's all about "can you control the air-flow to get the BGE to perform in a manner you can handle".  Low&slow is a great measuring stick to see if you can dial in the temp you want-about the only other commando issue is when shutting it down.  Clear those two and you are part of the "club".  Good luck!
    Louisville
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 195
    No gasket for a long time. Temp control is right on. I may burn up a little more lump on shutdown but not much. I would like to get a Rutland some time though.
  • johannjohann Posts: 111
    I've went both ways. I prefer having a gasket. Especially when the wife is grilling as she doesn't' have as tender a touch when closing the lid. 
  • hoofalooshoofaloos Posts: 91
    Mine turned to toast on my first pizza cook.  Didn't affect any of my cooks, including low and slow in negative temps all winter long.  Shut down took a bit longer but I could live with that.  The mothership sent a replacement and since I did like the feel of how it closed with the gasket, I went and changed it.  It does save quite a bit more lump but not the most important thing IMO
    XLBGE- Anchorage, AK