Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allen Brothers Steak

I was thinking about ordering a few specialty dry aged steaks from here. But before I drop some pretty serious coin I wanted to know the general consensus on buying from places like this. I don't have any high end butchers that I know of where I can get bone in rib roasts and dry aged steaks locally.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I'd like to hear some feedback/review on this as well.  Bump to the top...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    I've had Allen Bros steaks before and while they are very, very good.  They are not worth the outrageous prices that I can see online.  I would seek out a local butcher and give them a shot and absent that maybe try a high-end steakhouse and see if they would part with any of the goods.  That's just my two cents.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    edited July 2013
    never mail ordered from the meat house but have gone to several, 45 day dry aged ribeye, porterhouse, and strip, eally good stuff and more affordable, usually around 20 or so a pound. might be one in your area, they are growing fast and adding new stores

http://www.themeathouse.com/locations.aspx
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Dr. BBQ says they are the real deal, unlike Omaha steaks.  I've ordered some and I liked them, but I agree, for my tastebuds' abilities, I don't think I am appreciating them enough to justify the cost.  They often have a special where you can get some extra product if you spend a certain amount, so that can take some of the sting out of it.  But I'd say if you can appreciate really fine meat, this is really fine meat.  Only you can say if it is worth the price to you.
    The Naked Whiz
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I bought a package deal for my father a few years ago and got a couple of prime NY strips out of the pack.  Great steak!!  Having said that I haven't bought any more.  I look at it as a special occasion splurge.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I haven't had them but I agree the prices seem outrageous.  $200 for 4 18 oz steaks is $44.44 per lb.   $-)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    http://www.yougrill.com/index.php

These are also great but pricey. The best sirloin I have ever had. I've never bought them for myself because of the price - but I have given them and received them as gifts. The recipients are always extremely grateful.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Can't be better than DIY dry age. $15/lb for Prime quality Rib Eye at Costco.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    get a rib roast from the grocery store, unwrap it and throw it in the fridge for 4-5 weeks. I do it all the time. actually have a few bone-in ribeyes vacuum sealed in the fridge right now wet aging. got em from publix about 5 weeks ago I believe. they'll get cooked this weekend.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    @LBC_Dawg , I'm intrigued. Do you have to cut any *nasties* off the outside after 4-5 weeks? Care to do a write-up on your whole process? I know I'm really interested in your method.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hibby said:
    @LBC_Dawg , I'm intrigued. Do you have to cut any *nasties* off the outside after 4-5 weeks? Care to do a write-up on your whole process? I know I'm really interested in your method.
    No funk with wet aging.  But you also don't get the moisture loss that concentrates the beef flavor.
    @nolaegghead  Do you know of any good butchers in the NOLA area that have dry aged ribeyes?  It's only an hour or so drive.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Hibby said:
    nola is exactly right, no nasties w/ wet aging. but when I dry-age a whole rib roast, I just trim the 2 ends that are exposed, then cut into steaks whatever size I want. I have read all the stuff out there about how you're not supposed to dry age at home w/out all the proper equipment, temp, etc. then I used to always see stike post about doing it himself, so I gave it a try. I've done 3 whole rib roasts now the past yr or so. the 1st time I tried it w/ a small 2-bone roast just in case it turned out bad. all I do with it, is unwrap it, wash it off and pat dry, and put it on the v-rack sitting on a cookie sheet. goes on the bottom shelf of the fridge. the 1st time I cut it and cooked at 28 days, now I go at least 35.
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead  Do you know of any good butchers in the NOLA area that have dry aged ribeyes?  It's only an hour or so drive.
    @Thatgrimguy

The Rouses in the old Cadillac dealership in the warehouse district carries dry aged beef.  There's a butcher on Baronne St called Cleaver and Co that has good locally raised meats.  Rare Cuts is a good source - one on Magazine near Whole Foods and another on Citrus in Harahan, although the meat is not local, it's high quality.  Langensteins on Old Metairie road has a good butcher - you can get just about anything there.  Dorignacs on Vets has good meats.  They're about to open our first Costco around I10 and Carrollton.  Zuppardos on vets has some good meats too.
    @Thatgrimguy

The Rouses in the old Cadillac dealership in the warehouse district carries dry aged beef.  There's a butcher on Baronne St called Cleaver and Co that has good locally raised meats.  Rare Cuts is a good source - one on Magazine near Whole Foods and another on Citrus in Harahan, although the meat is not local, it's high quality.  Langensteins on Old Metairie road has a good butcher - you can get just about anything there.  Dorignacs on Vets has good meats.  They're about to open our first Costco around I10 and Carrollton.  Zuppardos on vets has some good meats too.
    Very interested to see what the meat section of the new Costco will be like.  
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • nolaegghead
    @NEWB_IN_NOLA Hey Philip, if you happen to go to Algiers in the near future, give me a call and I'll hook you up with some home made smoked and cured andouille.

The Costco will probably have the same stuff as the one I'm familiar with in San Antonio by my mom's place....as I recall, they have a lot of Choice and the butts don't have bones.  We're going to join...try to shop in New Orleans over Jefferson when we have the choice.
    I was thinking about ordering a few specialty dry aged steaks from here. But before I drop some pretty serious coin I wanted to know the general consensus on buying from places like this. I don't have any high end butchers that I know of where I can get bone in rib roasts and dry aged steaks locally.
    You might want to try calling Rick's Meat Hook in Long Beach.. He might have some or be willing to do it for you.  I know he carries rib roasts though.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • LBC Dawg said:
    Hibby said:
    nola is exactly right, no nasties w/ wet aging. but when I dry-age a whole rib roast, I just trim the 2 ends that are exposed, then cut into steaks whatever size I want. I have read all the stuff out there about how you're not supposed to dry age at home w/out all the proper equipment, temp, etc. then I used to always see stike post about doing it himself, so I gave it a try. I've done 3 whole rib roasts now the past yr or so. the 1st time I tried it w/ a small 2-bone roast just in case it turned out bad. all I do with it, is unwrap it, wash it off and pat dry, and put it on the v-rack sitting on a cookie sheet. goes on the bottom shelf of the fridge. the 1st time I cut it and cooked at 28 days, now I go at least 35.

This would seem to be another excellent reason to buy a used beer ridge for the garage.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'