Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
I haven't tried a brisket on the bge yet, but I figured now is a good time to try. I know from reading the forum to choose one that will bend in the middle, but most if these didn't really bend. I figured for 2.99 lb it is worth a shot. What's the best way to season and prep?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Remove the hard fat, trim all fat to 1/4", salt and pepper. 
    Options
    Use oak for smoke :D
    Options
    Thanks Nola! What temp do you set it at? I'm ready for some Who Dat
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I just put one on, about 15 minutes ago.  I'm aiming for 250 grate.  I'm at 260 grate right now, but I'm not messing with it for a while, let it stabilize.  My DigiQ is acting funky, so I broke out a Maverick I've had for about 6 months but never used. 

WHO DAT!
    Options
    So you're up around Jackson, MS?  Yeah, you a Saints fan.... :D
    Options
    That's right. I live around the reservoir area. I've been a Saints fan as long as I can remember.....I may even have a bag or 2 still laying around.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hahaha...cool.  I looked up the Krogers where you bought your brisket.   I had to squeeze the brisket to get the lid closed....big 14 pounder.  Looks like it settled down at 252.  Doesn't really matter that much, just want it to be in the 225-300 range so I can wake up in the morning and have it still cooking...adjust temp from there.
    Watch over trimming the fat on the flat side. Watch bbq with franklin on YouTube.
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    I have a 15 lb brisket on right now. Went on last night at midnight. I followed dr. BBQ Texas style brisket in his latest cookbook. Will post results later.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]