Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

I've done smaller deep dish pizzas before in the older 7" diameter ceramic deep dish pizza stone. I recently picked up the new 14" ceramic deep dish pizza stone and this is my first attempt. I used the recipe for Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza found on the BGE website. For my toppings I used pepperoni and imported ham. 

BGE partnered with the King Arthur Flour Company for this recipe. The KAF pizza dough recipe was modeled after Pizzeria Uno. The dough used: All-purpose flour, luke warm water, vegetabe oil, olive oil, melted butter, yellow corn meal, instant yeast & table salt.

The ingredients are all combined in the bowl of a stand mixer and are mixed at medium-low speed for 7 minutes.

The dough is done mixing.

The dough is placed in a dough doubling pail where it is allowed  to rise for 1 hour.

The risen dough is turned out and rolled into a "disc" shape. That was the idea anyway, I am not great at rolling out circular shapes of dough.

The dough is placed in the BGE 14" deep dish pizza stone, which has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray & coated with olive oil. The dough is shaped twice with 15 minute rests in between.

The pan & dough go on the Egg for 10 minutes. The Egg has been pre-heated to 425 and is set up for indirect grilling using the plate setter installed legs up. The dough is partially cooked for 10 minutes & then goes back to the Kitchen to get topped.

The ingredients for the toppings are: Petite diced tomatoes, shredded parmesan cheese, sliced mozzarella, olive oil, Italian seasoning, sugar, minced garlic, pepperoni & imported ham.

The crust has partially cooked for 10 minutes. It will now go back to the Kitchen to receive the toppings.

The petite diced tomatoes were drained and then the garlic, Italian seasoning sugar & pepper are added and mixed to make the sauce.

The pizza gets assembled. First the mozzarella cheese gets fanned out on top of the dough.

The imported ham slices go on top of the cheese,

The pepperoni is next.

The sauce goes over the meats and cheese.

The pizza is topped with shredded parmesan cheese and then is drizzled with olive oil.

The pizza is out on the 425 degree Egg and will cook indirectly for about 25 minutes.

The pizza was done after 21 minutes. It will go back inside and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.

The pizza has cooled for 15 minutes (but is still VERY hot). Time to eat!!

The crust was a wonderful golden brown.

This was one great pizza!! We all had one slice more than we should have. Everyone commented on the crispy, flaky, buttery flavored crust and the tangy, somewhat spicy and just great tasting sauce from the petite diced tomatoes. Making this pizza on the Egg was such a joy with the stability of the Egg once you get it to your desired temperature. 

Jim 
BBQ Website: grillin' & smokin'

Middlesex County, MA
Two Large BGE's & Too Many Eggcessories to Count

Comments